All that Jazz

2 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

All that Jazz - Page 5 Empty Re: All that Jazz

Post  misery guts Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:12 am

Ella Fitzgerald: Live at Montreux 1969
Back to June 22, 1969, for over an hour of magnificent music, mixing paces, the familiar and some surprising covers (Sunshine of Your Love, for example). She closed on 'A House is Not a Home'.

Radio 2 Piano Room - Gregory Porter
Rather shorter than I expected, he only did 3 songs, despite having a Christmas album to promote.

Gregory Porter - Live from Cheltenham 2023
At the Jazz festival, he did quite a long-ish set, and encourage the audience to join in. He even went off and came back for an encore.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

All that Jazz - Page 5 Empty Re: All that Jazz

Post  misery guts Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:15 am

Alan Yentob remembers... Ella Fitzgerald
Marking the 50th anniversary of her show at Ronnie Scott's, Alan explains how he was able to set it up, after her manager nixed it, then suggested that her poor eyesight might let them get away with it (she's wearing large glasses in the show, so, hmm).
misery guts wrote:Omnibus: Ella Fitzgerald at Ronnie Scott's
From 1974, a steady hour or less of material, with some fill-in banter. But at least she did songs I'd heard of, which is a nice change. She paid tribute to guys like Count Basie and Duke Ellington, and said it was her first time in a London nightclub for many years.
Omnibus presents Ella Fitzgerald at Ronnie Scott's aka Ella Fitzgerald's Other Show
She namechecked the Tommy Flanagan Quartet who were backing her, and mentioned that Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye was only a hit in the UK, so she only has to sing it here. Charming enough.

TUNE: corto.alto
A Scottish trio who called themselves jazz-adjacent, which is near enough to me. This 2023 short explained how they got together from other bands.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum