Tom Jones!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tom Jones! - Page 2 Empty Re: Tom Jones!

Post  misery guts Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:03 am

A Little Later - Tom Jones
Odd little compilation which I thought might feature more than it did. But originating in 2000, it culled 4 songs from his appearance on the 1998/9 Hootenanny whilst he was plugging Reload. He started with It's Not Unusual, inevitably, followed with Baby It's Cold Outside with Cerys Matthews, then Take Me To The River, and finally What I'd Say with backing from Nicole and Natalie Appleton of All Saints. Something of a missed opportunity, but better than nothing perhaps.

Tom Jones at 80
A tacked-together tribute with archive chatter to tell his story and feature performances. It's odd that Chills and Fever, and Exactly Like You, are perhaps 2 of his most repeated clips, and yet I don't think either rate among his biggest hits. What became interesting were the less familiar numbers like I'll Be Here Where The Heart Is, or This Is The Life. I'm always bemused by A Boy From Nowhere as well, which doesn't seem at all impressive or memorable. Baby It's Cold Outside turned up here too, despite the rows about it. But then they squeezed in 3 versions of It's Not Unusual...
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:32 am

Radio 2 Live at Home - Tom Jones
From the curious giant greenhouse, he delivered a decent set with familiar classics, and the unfamiliar Strange Things Happening Every Day, which might be from the new album he was expecting to be touring this summer, were things normal.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:56 am

misery guts wrote:A Little Later - Tom Jones
Odd little compilation which I thought might feature more than it did. But originating in 2000, it culled 4 songs from his appearance on the 1998/9 Hootenanny whilst he was plugging Reload. He started with It's Not Unusual, inevitably, followed with Baby It's Cold Outside with Cerys Matthews, then Take Me To The River, and finally What I'd Say with backing from Nicole and Natalie Appleton of All Saints. Something of a missed opportunity, but better than nothing perhaps.
A Little Later - Legends
Another small collection, from 2010. This time, Smokey Robinson, Carole King and Gladys Knight were squeezed in along with Tom doing 24 Hours.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:22 am

Jools' Annual Hootenanny
A somewhat reduced show, with all guests having to use Jools and his R&B Orchestra for backing, and some "Classic" repeats from previous shows. Amongst the live guests were the perennial Ruby Turner, Roisin Murphy, Celeste, Tom Jones, Michael Kiwanuka, Chris Difford and Rick Wakeman. Hopefully things may have improved in time for the end of 2021 show.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:12 am

Later with Jools Holland - Sir Tom Jones
He chose clips by The White Stripes, INXS, Norah Jones (no relation), Dua Lipa and Michael Kiwanuka, and finished off by performing I'm Growing Old, from his forthcoming Surrounded by Time album. There were also performances from Wolf Alice, and Pa Salieu ft Mahalia.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:01 am

Portrait Artist of the Year 2019 - Painting Sir Tom Jones
Duncan Shoosmith won, partly through portraits of Courtney Pine and Cleo Laine, among others - which earned him a commission from the National Museum of Wales. He did a sitting with Tom and the London Palladium, then a follow-up in a brighter studio setting. He was 78 then. He brought up his TB as a teenager, being born in Pontypridd, not dying his hair any more, his past in proper jobs. He had a private unveiling as he was unable to attend the public one, but he approved of the finished picture.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat May 01, 2021 1:01 am

His new album, Surrounded by Time, finally got released this week, and went to #1, making him now the oldest man to top the UK album charts, taking the title from Bob Dylan who did the feat last Summer.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:43 am

Focus On: Tom Jones
The Welsh wonder got the treatment, most of which was the usual, but it was good to hear Elvis Presley Blues, which is less familiar, also Papa, and Pop Star from the new album.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:19 am

Isle of Wight Festival 2021: Tom Jones
Billed as being most of an hour, what was broadcast was more like a quarter of that, and that left ample space for Sigma, and Shed Seven, who seemed rather livelier. Tom made sure to push his more recent material, though he did throw in Delilah too.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:00 am

Music Legends: Tom Jones
He turned 82 last week. Covered the usual bases, from his childhood TB, to having a backing band before being spotted and taken to London by Gordon Mills. Big success followed in the 60s, and his own show. Things cooled off in the 70s, and he had a revival around 1987. The 90s bobbled along until the big Reload success. He made further experiments in the 00s before finally dropping the hair dye and going in a blues/gospel route with more success in the 10s. He's still going.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:20 am

Rewind: 60 Years of Welsh Pop
A 6-part half-hour series with each week looking at acts from a separate decade, starting in the 1960s and finishing with the 2010s. A wide range of Welsh acts were included, some more than once, but only one man turned up every single bloody week, and that was Tom Jones., throughout various incarnations of his career.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2