Willie Nelson

Go down

Willie Nelson Empty Re: Willie Nelson

Post  misery guts on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:44 am

Willie Nelson - A Man And His Music
Odd hour presented (sort of) by Leon Russell, taken from "The Paradise Show" it appears, where Willie sang a lot, Leon sang some with him, and SPECIAL GUESTS Maria Muldaur and Bonnie Raitt also got in on the act. They started with Willie & Leon giving a fresh and un-Elvis rendition of "Suspicious Minds", and took it from there. They managed One For My Baby and Will The Circle Be Unbroken? too. I enjoyed it more than I expected, and my admiration for Willie continues to grow. Here's an actual clip from the show:

Trouble In Mind
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:08 am

Focus On... Willie Nelson
Phil & Sophie had plenty of material to choose from. A notable high spot is a medley from the Grand Ole Opry, when he was young and respectable, performing hits he'd written for others. There was mention of his run-ins with the law, of Farm Aid, his chequered love life, and his ability to laugh at himself, with songs like Still Not Dead, and It's All Going To Pot. He lives on Hawaii now, apparently, and some of his kids sing with him.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:45 am

My Life - It's A Long Story, by Willie Nelson (with David Ritz)
Chanced upon this a few months back. It's a well-written account that covers his highs and lows, his slow progress with music, his troubles with money, his marriages and children, his support for cannabis, his friendships in the business, and so on. A fine account.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:42 am

Willie Nelson & Friends: Outlaws & Angels
From 2004, oddly, this LA show saw James Caan doing some MC-ing, as Willie shared his stage with Toby Keith, Merle Haggard, Bob Dylan, Kid Rock, Al Green, Shelby Lynne, Carole King, Toots Hibbert, Rickie Lee Jones, Keith Richards and ultimately Jerry Lee Lewis. Entertaining stuff.

I note Willie has a new covers album out, called My Way, which I believe is effectively, Nelson sings Sinatra.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Willie Nelson Empty Willie Nelson

Post  misery guts on Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:23 am

He's a legendary outlaw country rebel, he's a prolific songwriter (more than 300 songs) and recreational drug enjoyer, he was the brains behind Farm Aid, and he's got a new album out this week, so let's celebrate with his own thread! Here's just a handful of his best:

Hello, Walls

Crazy

On The Road Again

Funny How Time Slips Away

Pretty Paper

flower
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Today at 8:30 am

Willie Nelson - Broadcasting Live
A compiled hour, some from Farm Aid, mostly solo stuff, but some duets with Bob Dylan, Roger Miller and Kris Kristofferson. He managed to include familiar hits like City Of New Orleans and Whiskey River. Always reliable and his epic career remains remarkable.

SoundStage presents Willie Nelson
Now here's a man unafraid to introduce the songs he plays. This 2010 gig featured such gems as "Dark as a Dungeon", "Drinking Champagne and Feeling No Pain", and "Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down". Yup, that's Willie Nelson alright.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Today at 8:33 am

The South Bank Show Originals: Willie Nelson
Bragg met him in 2003, and his sister Bobbie was one of those interviewed, along with Jean from the WN Museum. He found life better beyond Nashville. Their show finished with Bragg thanking Willie even though he admitted the guy hadn't told him anything new, for which they shared laughter  Razz

Rock N Roll Road Trip w/Sammy Hagar - On The RockNRollRoadTrip Again
To Billy Bobs in Fort Worth, so Sammy can finally catch up with a man he'd been trying to do a show with through all the run (this being Series 4) - Willie Nelson.
He's had multiple arrests, and still does (or did) over 100 shows a year. He said his best friend is his wife, and doesn't take much time off (though he has his own golf course). He talks about Farm Aid - Sammy played the 2nd one, and made some crack that saw him never invited back. "Crazy" started out being called "Stupid". They both love Maui.
Sammy also spoke to Willie's harmonica player, Mickey Raphael. Supposedly Willie operates no setlist, so the band just have to pick it up as he goes into it. He mentions good-natured Willie does sometimes get cranky, but not often. They finish the show with On The Road Again, which Sammy doesn't really get to share.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum