I fought the lawsuit

2 posters

Go down

I fought the lawsuit Empty I fought the lawsuit

Post  misery guts Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:13 am

Well, well,

'Uptown Funk!'s Writing Credits Changed To Include The Gap Band
There is at least a surface similarity between the two funk-influenced songs, so one can’t help but wonder if this one of the first effects we’re seeing of the post-‘Blurred Lines’ court case, persuading artists to pre-emptively include credits because of the threat of lawsuits.

In March, Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams were ordered to pay $7.4 million to the family of Marvin Gaye after a court ruled that ‘Blurred Lines’ copied the sound of the R&B icon’s 1977 hit ‘Got To Give It Up’.

Also, Sam Smith agreed to pay American rocker Tom Petty songwriting royalties for his hit ‘Stay With Me’ after it was argued that there were similarities between that song and Petty’s ‘I Won’t Back Down’.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

I fought the lawsuit Empty Re: I fought the lawsuit

Post  misery guts Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:02 pm

Uptown Funk faces another claim
Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars have been accused of plagiarism.

The pair have come under fire from Serbian singer Viktorija - whose real name is Snezana Miskovic - who claims their chart-topping collaboration 'Uptown Funk' is a rip off of her 1984 single 'Ulice Mracne Nisu Za Devojke', which translates as 'Dark Streets Are Not For Girls'.

She said: "Their song 'Uptown Funk' contains 80 per cent of my tracks. How much of it are you allowed to take as inspiration for your song?"

Despite claiming the song is "80 per cent" hers, the 56-year-old star insisted she has not yet decided whether to sue them and instead just wants to have her contribution appreciated.
Being Serbian and defending a song that 98% of people will have never heard of before suggests this one won't be as successful as the Gap Band.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:51 pm

Mark Ronson, Bruno Mars Sued by Funk Band Collage Over 'Uptown Funk'

“Uptown Funk” collaborators Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars are being sued for alleged copyright infringement, according to TMZ. Collage, a funk band that released music in the early 1980s, filed the complaint.

The group claims “Uptown Funk” and its own 1983 song “Young Girls” are “almost indistinguishable” and states that Ronson and Mars have previously mentioned being influenced by early ‘80s Minneapolis electro-funk and soul music.

The complaint, obtained by Pitchfork, specifies the following: “Upon information and belief, many of the main instrumental attributes and themes of ‘Uptown Funk’ are deliberately and clearly copied from ‘Young Girls,’ including, but not limited to, the distinct funky specifically noted and timed consistent guitar riffs present throughout the compositions, virtually if not identical bass notes and sequence, rhythm, structure, crescendo of horns and synthesizers rendering the compositions almost indistinguishable if played over each other and strikingly similar if played in consecutively.”

Billboard has reached out to RCA, the record label that released "Uptown Funk," for comment.

(Both songs / videos are in article)
Adric
Adric
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Graham/546756334

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:20 am

Not quite that sort of victimisation, but still...

Alanis Morissette's former manager admits stealing $7m
Alanis Morissette’s former business manager has admitted embezzling more than $7m (£6m) from the singer and other celebrities and agreed to plead guilty to federal charges, prosecutors have said.
Jonathan Todd Schwartz, 48, of Los Angeles, was charged with wire fraud and filing a false tax return for failing to report the embezzled funds.
It's the Leonard Cohen story again Shocked
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:34 pm

I really don't know, but have nothing but respect for the best duo of all time. Wish him the best!

Venue Owned by Hall & Oates' Daryl Hall Sues Over Occupancy Clash

A concert venue owned by recording star Daryl Hall is suing a New York town, saying that measures taken to reduce the occupancy of the site would force the business to close.

The Poughkeepsie Journal reports the dispute comes amid negotiations to build an outdoor stage at Daryl's House, a venue owned by the Hall & Oates musician.

A lawsuit filed in March seeks to prevent the town of Pawling from lowering the venue's maximum occupancy from 318 standees to 198.

The lawsuit comes in response to notice given in early March that says the venue's headcount was over capacity.

Live From Daryl's House is a music program that films at the Hudson Valley venue. Performers last year included Kenny Loggins, Wyclef Jean, Cheap Trick and Elle King.
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:24 am

Dreary N-Dubz rapper Dappy has had a mixed result from his latest court appearance:

Dappy walks free from court after knife charge
The 30-year-old reality television personality, whose real name is Costadinos Contostavlos, admitted carrying a kitchen knife during the confrontation with partner Imani Campbell outside their home in Hatfield, Hertfordshire, on May 10. Contostavlos, who has an 18-month-old daughter with Miss Campbell, admitted carrying the knife and pointing it at neighbours before returning inside the home.
Dear oh dear Rolling Eyes
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:25 am

The one and only Toni Basil is on the warpath:

Toni Basil sues Disney and South Park
Toni Basil, the one-hit-wonder who recorded Mickey, is suing several companies, saying they have used the song without permission.
Media giants Disney and Viacom are among the defendants named in her case, filed in Los Angeles on Thursday.
According to court documents, Basil only recently became aware that Mickey had been used in TV shows including South Park and Ru Paul's Drag Race.
She claims the discovery left her "despondent and physically ill".
Basil's lawyers say the 73-year-old "has experienced sleep deprivation, nightmares and anxiety" as a result of use of the song. She has requested a jury trial.
I don't rate her chances, to be honest, not least because she didn't write the blasted song clown All she did was change the original "Kitty" to make it about a man.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:52 am

Rapper DMX took an unusual step in court:

Sing it, brother
The US rapper was in court for dodging $1.7m (£1.2m) in taxes and could have been given up to five years in prison.
After listening to the song, the judge said DMX was a "good man" and gave him one year in prison.
He was also ordered to pay $2.3m (£1.6m) to the tax authorities.
So he's avoided 4 years of a sentence... but has to pay 33% more (approx.)? Call that a deal? Razz
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:30 am

Today's music = thugs (not talent), but real thugs (of all color) paying their bail through their music. (If one can call it music). It's not as if I listen to this madness they call music these days, but it's sort of my job. A child could see through the racist driven garbage. Gun control, drug wars, gang violence, sexual orientation ... oh give me a break! No wonder today's kids are afraid of their own shadow. I've said it before and I'll say it again and stand by it. Music got hi-jacked by prison for profit. There are still wonderful artists(s) out there, but unless they allow Cardi B or Drake into their worlds and take money to bash the POTUS, they will not succeed. Ed Sheeran is only as popular as he is because he's one of the very very few that still makes music that even sounds remotely like music. I don't give a hoot about him either. He had a few good tunes and now he's as over rated as the rest. Well, he died to me when he took up with the likes of Eminem. Predictions for 2018 ... another 20 songs by Cardi B thanks to (featuring). Another 20 songs from Drake, though only 3 of them will stick, likely the worst three. 10 more awesome songs that will be very very lucky to spend 1 solid week in the Top 40. Migos will be the sh*t of 2018 and the generic AI, BGT crap will be crammed down our throats like pills to an addict. Imagine if Ed Sheeran did a video hanging a young black boy. His career would be over and he'd have more death threats than Trump. XXXTentacion does this with young white boys and scores a Top 10 hit! Nope, I am done! I will continue to chart this garbage, but it's with a heavy heart now.
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:55 am

I must say Xxxtentacion remains off my radar, and I'm in no rush to see why Shocked

But hey, Drake did get KO'd from the UK top spot at last, so maybe he will in the US too... er, soon Idea
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 am

The Johnny Hallyday estate has been frozen by a French court in another inheritance saga:

Zut alors
The singer died of cancer in December and left everything to his fourth wife Laeticia and their adopted daughters.
His older children are contesting this as French law forbids children from being excluded from inheritance.
French media speculate that the rock star left up to €100m (£86m).
Also got a new album (!) due out this year, which will benefit from extra publicity, I expect.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:20 am

Nicki Minaj is in trouble:

Nicki Minaj is facing a copyright infringement lawsuit from singer/songwriter Tracy Chapman over a sample on the rapper's unreleased song Sorry.
Nicki initially stalled the release of her latest album Queen by a week back in August (18), so she could officially get Chapman's OK to use a clip of her hit Baby Can I Hold You, but the two sides couldn't come to an agreement and Nicki was forced to leave her love song with former partner Nas off the album.
Unfortunately for Minaj, before she pulled the track, New York DJ Funkmaster Flex got hold of a copy and played it, prompting Minaj to post the now-deleted tweet "Sis said no", suggesting Chapman didn't like the idea of her hit being used on a rap track.
Rolling Eyes
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:04 am

Curious scandal about Universal Music, who had a fire back in 2008 which destroyed part of their music archives, affecting bands like Nirvana and acts like Sheryl Crow. There's talk of litigation, and artist distress at the loss.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48745638
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

I fought the lawsuit Empty lawsuits anon

Post  misery guts Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:56 am

misery guts wrote:Curious scandal about Universal Music, who had a fire back in 2008 which destroyed part of their music archives, affecting bands like Nirvana and acts like Sheryl Crow. There's talk of litigation, and artist distress at the loss.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48745638
In a belated follow-up to this story, the lawsuit was dismissed, since almost all those involved in complaining had backed out. Only Tom Petty's widow was left  Shocked
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:10 am

Nicole Scherzinger has been sued by management, over a proposed Pussycat Dolls reunion. However, her lawyer is refuting the claims against her (that she wanted her existing 49% share increased to 75% and other things).
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:07 am

Four Tet can celebrate, having won a case against Domino Records, over his loyalty rights from streaming:

https://www.clashmusic.mtcserver.com/news/four-tet-wins-legal-case-against-domino-records

Meanwhile, Shakira faces up to 8 years in jail from a tax fraud case Shocked
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:49 am

Not content with facing one lawsuit over the ownership of "All I Want for Christmas is You", Mariah Carey now faces another after an attempt to trademark the tag "Queen of Christmas" which is already claimed by at least two other artists, one being Darlene Love.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:52 am

misery guts wrote:Not content with facing one lawsuit over the ownership of "All I Want for Christmas is You", Mariah Carey now faces another after an attempt to trademark the tag "Queen of Christmas" which is already claimed by at least two other artists, one being Darlene Love.
This lawsuit was dropped this week.

Shakira, though, still faces her day in court.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:01 am

misery guts wrote:
misery guts wrote:Not content with facing one lawsuit over the ownership of "All I Want for Christmas is You", Mariah Carey now faces another after an attempt to trademark the tag "Queen of Christmas" which is already claimed by at least two other artists, one being Darlene Love.
This lawsuit was dropped this week.
In less good news for her, she lost out on the "Queen of Christmas" thing.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:11 am

A busy week for lawyers:

The Weeknd has resolved a copyright case over his 2018 hit Call Out My Name:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65012702

Bad Bunny however is being sued by an ex-girlfriend over his use of her voice on a couple of hit tracks without her permission:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65024779

Whilst Culture Club have agreed to pay £1.75m to former drummer Jon Moss over his 2018 exit:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65038883

farao
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:55 am

Fugees alumnus Pras Michel has been on trial for supposedly taking big money to act as an "influencer" for a Malaysian businessman:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65130683

Leonardo di Caprio was a witness in his defence.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed May 10, 2023 8:25 am

misery guts wrote:Fugees alumnus Pras Michel has been on trial for supposedly taking big money to act as an "influencer" for a Malaysian businessman:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65130683

Leonardo di Caprio was a witness in his defence.
He was found guilty on 10 counts!  affraid
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:33 am

Dua Lipa is facing court action over her recent smash hit Levitating  Shocked
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:48 am

misery guts wrote:
Meanwhile, Shakira faces up to 8 years in jail from a tax fraud case Shocked
misery guts wrote:
Shakira, though, still faces her day in court.
This has finally been resolved, with Shakira agreeing to pay millions Idea

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67472496

Elsewhere, A$AP Rocky is facing a court case of his own:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-67459290
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:56 am

Rapper Young Thug has been on trial, with his lyrics used in evidence against him.

And whilst some may listen to their seasonal take on Jingle Bell Rock, it seems that Daryl Hall is sueing John Oates  affraid
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum