Eric Clapton & Cream

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Eric Clapton & Cream Empty Eric Clapton & Cream

Post  misery guts Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:40 am

Once considered "God", but generally accepted now as merely one of the greatest blues guitarists the world has ever seen. Which is fair enough. The only man to be in the American Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 3 times, he's hardly a great singles artist, but he has still put his talents behind some mighty bits of music over the last half-century:

I Shot The Sheriff

Behind The Mask

Wonderful Tonight

Riding With The King (with BB King)

Layla

king

Last edited by misery guts on Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Eric Clapton & Cream Empty Re: Eric Clapton & Cream

Post  misery guts Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:53 am

Eric Clapton: Crossroads Guitar Festival in Chicago
Hard to diss a show that begins with Bill Murray making a stab at Van Morrison's 'Gloria', though Bill rapidly gives way to a succession of major guitarists, the likes of BB King, Steve Winwood, Willie Nelson, Robbie Robertson and Sheryl Crow. OK, I hardly knew any of the tunes, but it sounded good.

Eric Clapton: Standing at the Crossroads
Another retrospective effort, from around a decade ago. It covers his formative years, how and why he turned to the guitar, where he took inspiration, and how he moved through a series of bands to finish up with his solo career, once he had fought off his demons (of drugs and drink). His guitar-playing deserves its high reputation, and he seems to be together as a person these days, considered and eloquent.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:54 am

Eric Clapton - 24 Nights
More concert performances, thankfully not padded out with backstage piffle, from varying shows on his 1990-1 shows at the Royal Albert Hall. He even played some stuff I knew!

Eric Clapton: Live in California
An hour & half from the Blues exponent, possibly around the time of 'One More Car, One More Rider', here at the Staples Centre in Los Angeles, on August 18, 2001. As you'd expect, it was a professional and enjoyable show, with his well-known stuff as engaging as his lesser lights.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:00 am

Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood - Live from Madison Square Garden
Pleasant hour & half concert, not sure when from. The addition of Winwood obviously enabled a wider choice of material.

Discovering: Eric Clapton
Like the Bowie show, only shorter, his prodigious talent remains his USP, and whilst he's had his public highs and lows, and used them in some of his songs, he still remains quiet to discuss too much about himself. Which is fair enough.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:22 am

Eric Clapton: Music in Review
Nothing earth-shattering here, the familiar tale of the modest guitar hero who went from John Mayall's Blues Breakers to Cream, before being challenged by Jimi Hendrix and then going off the boil. Jack Bruce made for an interesting & relevant contributor (for once).

Eric Clapton: Live at Baloise Session
From Basel, 2013, with Paul Carrack on keyboards and Andy Fairweather-Low on guitar as well. A decent length show mixing covers and other material, a sedate version of Layla, respect paid to JJ Cale, and ending on High Time we Went. Rather enjoyable show.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:19 am

Artworks Scotland - Jack Bruce - The Man Behind The Bass
Shown to mark his recent death, this 2012 prog looked back over his career, from his peak in Cream, where he inspired a plethora of bass players from Tom Robinson to Bootsy Collins, later troubles with addiction, and rescue with the loving support of his wife Margrit. Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker were both included, along with lyricist collaborator Pete Brown. It's illustrative that Cream nearly never happened because of disharmony between Baker and Bruce. It was easy to see who was at fault, though.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:28 pm

Cream Masterpieces
An album-by-album effort, with familiar contributors like Steven Rosen, Chris Welch and Nick Tauber, though at least all 3 Cream members were included (via archive, except for Jack Bruce). It was interesting to see 'Disraeli Gears' get some drubbing, as that seems to be the one usually singled out as the best.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:28 pm

Eric Clapton: Masterpieces
A pretty full look over his career, from the early days, through his solo highs and lows. Jack Bruce was a welcome contributor here. At least they recognised that he's as likely to be middling as to be god-like.

Jack Bruce: Live at the Cantebury Fayre
A decent hour from Aug 24, 2002, with Jack on guitar and piano at various points, backed by the Chicoland Express. The only song I recognised was 'Sunshine of Your Love' Smile
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:35 pm

Cream :Total Rock Review
Another album-by-album effort, helped by the presence of Jack Bruce and Pete "the writer" Brown, plus some archive of Eric & Ginger. One nice summation was that Clapton typified the blues, Baker typified jazz, and Bruce fitted both.

Last edited by misery guts on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:21 am; edited 2 times in total
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Mon May 04, 2015 8:54 am

Cream: Farewell Concert from the Royal Albert Hall, London
From Nov 26, 1968, a run-through of their material, interspersed with chats & demos from all three members. They started with Sunshine of Your Love and ended with I'm So Glad. Enjoyable stuff.

Last edited by misery guts on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:02 am

Cream
Culled from 4 dates in May 2005 at the Royal Albert Hall, London, this marked the reformation of the classic line-up of Clapton, Bruce and Baker. They ran through a wide mix of material, encoring unsurprisingly with 'Sunshine of Your Love'. I used to find them uninteresting, I've really reassessed that view now.

Steve Winwood: English Soul
His elder brother Muff found Steve was a musical prodigy, and soon the Spencer Davis Group were having a #1 hit. But Winwood was always looking for challenge, which led him to Traffic, then briefly into collaboration with Eric Clapton in Blind Faith, then back to Traffic, then solo during the 1980's, then back to Traffic again, and finally back to working with Clapton. One episode amusingly not covered is how 'Valerie' became such a success for Eric Prydz, but then that's hardly surprising Wink Winwood seems at peace in the Gloucestershire countryside now.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:09 am

Classic Albums - Disraeli Gears : Cream
The ever popular series unsurprisingly covered this lot in 2006, with the three main players and writer Pete Brown all present & correct. Ahmet Ertegun and Manfred Mann represented the business, whilst David Fricke and Chris Welch provided the journalism point of view. At least having several hits on means it stands up well as a classic.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:47 pm

Imagine: Beware Of Mr Baker
Nice initials Wink This 2012 film by Jay Bulger sees the jazz drummer's story recounted in great detail, mostly sympathetic, even though the man himself often isn't remotely. Drugs and obstinacy seemed to be mountains he could tackle, but polo asked too much of his bank account. The use of animation became quite funny when it depicted Ginger moving from country to country, leaving disaster in his wake. Many drummers and friends (including both Clapton and Bruce) were happy to talk, but the story ends with Baker assaulting Bulger for including those other people in his film. Ah, I didn't like him anyway.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:46 am

Inside Cream
Another of these efforts that seems madly familiar but with a new name. Anyway, familiar faces rated their albums, and they did well to release so many given their comparatively short life-span.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:38 am

Eric Clapton - Slowhand at 70 - Live at the Royal Albert Hall
From May 2015, and with Paul Carrack on piano, and Andy Fairweather-Low on guitar in the encore at least, this was a fairly steady show, a mix of the well-known and maybe less-so, slow and rocking.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:35 am

The Ronnie Wood Show: Pattie Boyd
She brought in a few photos to help punctuate the narratives. She and Ron had known each other since 1969. Her first pic featured Ron at George Harrison's Friar Park gaff. She and Eric met Bob Marley after a gig in Hammersmith. She apparently met the Beatles on the set on one of their films, and soon chucked her boyfriend when George showed interest. They were together for 10 years. She said Delaney & Bonnie inspired Eric to do more singing. There was a photo of Ron & Eric at his Ewhirst gaff. Layla was apparently named after some 17th century Persian romantic novel. She was one of the many people at the Indian ashram and had a pic of John & Paul there in 1968. She and George met Bob Dylan at Woodstock. Ronnie got accidentally bustled onto stage in the "Last Waltz" film, which Scorsese later recalled when they made the Stones "Shine a Light" concert film. Ronnie wrote "Mystifies Me" about Patti. Her sister married Mick Fleetwood, of course. She had a photo exhibition upcoming when this was recorded. Once again, a show full of interesting trivia.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Wed May 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Eric Clapton: Singer Says He 'Might Be Saying Goodbye' After Upcoming Album Release
"Just in case I don't cut another record, this is how I feel. I kind of might be saying goodbye," Clapton told The Associated Press. Clapton's new album "I Still Do" is set to release May 20. Sad

The 71-year-old guitar legend has three daughters ranging in age from 11 to 14, and it's only natural they have little interest in dad's old Robert Johnson records. They're Justin Bieber fans.
"I was, I suppose, a little bit disappointed that they were talking about him, until I heard the music," he said. "It's got some substance now."
Clapton's fans need not worry about that sentiment. His new disc being released Friday, "I Still Do," fits like a comfortable shoe into his canon. He sings songs by Johnson — it's a wonder he can find one he hadn't covered already — J.J. Cale and Bob Dylan, along with two originals. There's plenty of tasteful acoustic and electric guitar licks, even if recording turned out to be an unexpectedly painful experience.
Just as he was about to go into the studio with producer Glyn Johns, who made "Slowhand" with Clapton 40 years ago, he came down with a nasty case of eczema.

"It was a nightmare," he said. "I started thinking that it was psychosomatic, that maybe I was nervous. And maybe I was. Who knows? I had full-body eczema and it ended up my hands."
He was determined not to back down, recognizing that he would have gotten depressed if he had stayed home. The back cover of "I Still Do" pictures Clapton's hand in a protective mitt holding the neck of a guitar, only the fingertips exposed.
Another name on the album's credits will trigger memories and guesswork for long-time Clapton fans. The disc credits "Angelo Mysterioso" for acoustic guitar and vocals on the song "I Will There." Since a near-identical pseudonym was used by George Harrison when he played on a Clapton album but couldn't be credited for contractual reasons, speculation spread that it was a track the former Beatle had left behind. Harrison has been dead for 15 years.
While the thought was "really sweet," Clapton said it's not him.
The old name was dusted off because the real artist's record company didn't want him associated with Clapton, odd as that sounds.
"I like the idea that people will speculate," he said. "They might get it right. They might get it wrong. But I'm not going to say. I gave my word."
One of Clapton's new originals, "Spiral," turned out almost inadvertently autobiographical. Playing to a groove his band had come up with, Clapton made up lyrics on the spot: "You don't know how much this means," he sang, "to have this music in me."
"I've gotta have it," he concludes.

Clapton enjoys performing, but not the travel or nights in hotels. It means the days of extended concert tours are over for him.
Can he still conjure the days when he was the young gunslinger, when his fiery playing led to "Clapton is God" graffiti in London?
"I can't go to that place anymore," he said. "I have to work hard now to get to the place where it's absolutely free. The days you're referring to I was doing it non-stop all day long and it was all I ever thought about. I was a young man with a passion. I don't know that guy anymore at all. But I know where the music came from and I can tap into a point where I think it's OK."
Clapton has talked about retirement, about recognizing when it's time to hang up the guitar before someone has to tell him. It's impossible to ignore the spate of music-related deaths: David Bowie and Prince may have gotten the biggest headlines, but Cale and B.B. King hit Clapton the hardest.

Adric
Adric
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Graham/546756334

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Thu May 19, 2016 8:06 am

Nice read Smile Yeah, I ought to have linked to him having a new album out. So many artists have reached their half-century in the business in this decade Cool
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:58 am

He's still got these aches and pains:

Eric Clapton 'struggles to play guitar'
"I've had quite a lot of pain over the last year. It started with lower back pain, and turned into what they call peripheral neuropathy.

"[It's] hard work to play the guitar and I've had to come to terms with the fact that it will not improve."

But he added that given his life had been fraught with addiction "I consider it a great thing to be alive at all".

"By rights I should have kicked the bucket a long time ago," said the 71-year-old star, who recently released his 23rd studio album, I Still Do.
Or to put it more cynically, if you haven't bought the new album don't hold out hope of another one coming along someday.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:45 pm

And if there's one thing I've learned about media over the years is that you are only told enough that they want you to know. Sadly, I fear Clapton is preparing his fans for the worst. I do hope I'm wrong. Just caught tail end of a quick interview (no idea what channel as was at laundromat). He doesn't look well at all.
Adric
Adric
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Graham/546756334

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:16 am

The Pete Brown Story
Celebrating his half century in the rock business. Had some success with poetry, then was contacted by Ginger Baker about helping Cream. He was soon working well with Jack Bruce. There was a lack of time for writing because Cream were busy touring. He forged other projects over the years, working with Graham Bond and others. Had a spell as an A&R guy. He was seriously ticked off with the punk phase. He produced some records for other acts, worked on film projects. He's not fond of tribute bands, though is amused at some of the names they come up with. Prefers to lead his own band. Still gigging and still recording at the time of this was done, which was 2015.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:13 am

Jack Bruce - Silver Rails
As above, pushing his then-new album. He looks somewhat emaciated here, and it's hard to judge how close this was to his death (the album came out in March 2014). But he was in good form, talking about the tracks from the album, the sounds he wanted, the musicians he wanted to work with. He also went over his early years, and work since Cream. He had enjoyed the experience of working at Abbey Road Studios. He had seen a clip of the "Beware of Mr Baker" film about the Cream drummer, with Ginger attacking the documentary maker. Jack was diplomatic, but not too shocked. He still sounded fired up with plans, so it's a shame he didn't get the time or chance to fulfil them.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:28 am

Not looking much healthier
Eric Clapton cut a frail figure as he was wheeled through Los Angeles International Airport this week.
The 71-year-old Layla star was seen entering the terminal in a wheel chair while holding onto one of his teenage daughter's hands.
His frail appearance comes days after he was forced to cancel two of his performances in LA due to severe bronchitis.
Hmm Shocked
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:59 am

Classic Artists: Cream
A 2006 effort coming off the back of their 2005 reunion gigs. The three main players all had plenty to say (often still arguing with each other), whilst Ahmet Ertegun, and members of bands they had been in before coming together (such as Paul Jones) also had useful stuff to say. Amusingly, some of Ginger's footage came from the day after a bad gig at MSG, which might well have influenced his answers (since his grievance was solved for the next show, he might have been jollier if interviewed later). Anyway, Ginger claimed that Cream was his idea, and that Jack was selfish and claimed credit for things that weren't his. They fell into the old trap of not getting enough time off to recharge their batteries, and believed manager Robert Stigwood stiffed them somewhat too. But mainly Eric had got fed up of the bickering. They went into the R&R HoF in 1993.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:40 am

Botham on the Fly: Eric Clapton
The former cricketer's series with other celebrity fishing fans from many years ago. Clapton spoke of the value of rest time, a chance to switch off from the stresses of his normal life. He prefers chalk-stream fishing, and agrees with the idea that fishing is "time added on". He called Botham inspirational, both driven to be the best at what they do.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum