The Blurred Marvin Thicke Lines

2 posters

Go down

The Blurred Marvin Thicke Lines Empty The Blurred Marvin Thicke Lines

Post  Adric Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:17 pm

I just posted here not even a month ago comparing Blurred Lines to Got To Give It Up. I love both songs, but I'm quite offended by Robin Thicke. I truly will be rooting for Marvin's family!  

Robin Thicke sues Marvin Gaye's family

The singers are asking a judge to rule that their summer anthem 'Blurred Lines' does not copy elements from songs by Marvin Gaye and Funkadelic.

Sometimes, the best defense is an offense.

At least that's the strategy that Robin Thicke, T.I and Pharrell Williams seem to be taking with their summer pop hit Blurred Lines.

An attorney for Thicke and collaborators Williams and Clifford Harris Jr (aka T.I.) filed a lawsuit Thursday, asking a federal judge to determine that their song Blurred Lines does not copy elements from two older songs from Marvin Gaye and Funkadelic (George Clinton).

This comes after Marvin Gaye's family and Bridgeport Records' alleged claims against the singers that the song sounds remarkably similar to Gaye's Got To Give Up, demanding financial compensation for copyright infringement.

"Gaye defendants are claiming ownership of an entire genre, as opposed to a specific work," the suit alleges.

Funkadelic, the George Clinton-led band that led the '70s funk movement, has also allegedly claimed similarity between Thicke's hit and Sexy Ways.

A copy of the suit obtained by The Hollywood Reporter reads:

"Plaintiffs, who have the utmost respect for and admiration of Marvin Gaye, Funkadelic and their musical legacies, reluctantly file this action in the face of multiple adverse claims from alleged successors in interest to those artists. Defendants continue to insist that plaintiffs' massively successful composition, 'Blurred Lines,' copies 'their' compositions."

Last edited by Adric on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adric
Adric
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Graham/546756334

Back to top Go down

The Blurred Marvin Thicke Lines Empty Re: The Blurred Marvin Thicke Lines

Post  Adric Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:20 pm

Marvin Gaye's Son -- You Can Bet We're Gonna Sue Robin Thicke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eugx6aZLwuo
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:05 am

Gaye family settles with Sony/ATV in Robin Thicke dispute
The family of late soul singer Marvin Gaye has dropped a legal action against Sony/ATV amid claims Robin Thicke's hit Blurred Lines copied one of his songs.

A Los Angeles judge granted a dismissal of legal action which stated the music company failed to pursue a copyright case against Thicke.

However, the Gayes' separate case against the chart topper, rapper T.I. and Pharrell Williams remains ongoing.
So, it's not a complete victory for Thicke & co - yet.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:53 pm

Amazing how an old topic can creep back up when you least expect it Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

'Blurred Lines' jury finds for Marvin Gaye

Was it simply an homage? Or flat-out copying? The jury decided Tuesday it was copying.

That's what has been at issue in the musically-packed, big-money Los Angeles trial over 2013 hit Blurred Lines.

Musicians Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams and T.I. preemptively sued the family of late singer Marvin Gaye for a determination on whether their hit song was an infringement on the copyright for Gaye's 1977 hit song, Got to Give it Up. Gaye's family counter-sued.

On Tuesday, Gaye's camp emerged victorious. The eight member jury voted unanimously that Thicke and song producer Williams had infringed on the 1977 Gaye song.

The jury awarded $7.3 million to Gaye's family. His children — Nona, Frankie and Marvin Gaye III — were present in court when the verdict was read.

Nona Gaye wept as the verdict was being read and was hugged by her attorney, Richard Busch.

"Right now, I feel free," Nona Gaye said after the verdict. "Free from ... Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke's chains and what they tried to keep on us and the lies that were told."

A spokesman for Williams told Rolling Stone, "While we respect the judicial process, we are extremely disappointed in the ruling made today, which sets a horrible precedent for music and creativity going forward." He continued, "Pharrell created Blurred Lines from his heart, mind and soul and the song was not taken from anyone or anywhere else. We are reviewing the decision, considering our options and you will hear more from us soon about this matter."

Thicke and his representatives have not spoken publicly since the verdict was announced.

The jury reached the decision after hearing nearly a week of testimony about similarities between Blurred Lines — the biggest hit of 2013 — and Gaye's hit.

Thicke and Williams denied copying. Their song earned more than $5 million apiece for each.

Although both are credited as its songwriters, Williams wrote the song in about an hour in 2012, and the pair recorded it in one night, according to the testimony.

The verdict could tarnish the legacy of Williams, a reliable hit-maker who has won Grammy Awards and appears on NBC's music competition show The Voice.

An attorney for Thicke and Williams has said a decision in favor of Gaye's heirs could have a chilling effect on musicians who try to emulate an era or another artist's sound.

Williams told jurors that Gaye's music was part of the soundtrack of his youth, but he denied using any of it to create Blurred Lines.

The Williams, Thicke and T.I camp contended they did nothing wrong in being inspired by Gaye and evoking the feeling of Gaye's music.

But lawyers for Gaye's children — Frankie and Nona Gaye — accused Williams and Thicke of repeatedly changing their stories about how they created Blurred Lines and felt his clients deserved a piece of the millions the song has made.

An accounting statement during the trial, according to The Hollywood Reporter, revealed that there were $16,675,690 in profits for Blurred Lines.

According to testimony, $5,658,214 went to Thicke, $5,153,457 was given to Williams and $704,774 to T.I.

Record companies (Interscope, UMG Distribution and Star Trak) took home the rest, with an executive at Universal Music testifying that overhead costs on the creation of Blurred Lines accounted for $6.9 million.

Add to that a second song, Gaye's After the Dance, also being disputed, and Gaye family lawyer Richard Busch put damages at $40 million.

Howard King, lead attorney for Williams, Thicke and T.I., told jurors a verdict for the Gaye family would stifle artists and inhibit musicians trying to recreate an era or genre of music.

The two-week trial was entertaining, enlightening and colorful. Thicke sang, played the piano and even danced a little in his seat during his testimony. He also told the federal jury that he was drunk and high on drugs during interviews about the song. Although he is credited with co-writing the mega hit, Thicke said Williams wrote it on his own.

Williams' testimony hinged on feelings. "Feel, but not infringement," Williams said when asked whether he recognized similarities between the songs. "I must've been channeling that feeling, that late-'70s feeling."

Blurred Lines was the biggest hit of 2013 and was nominated for a Grammy Award. T.I.'s rap track was added after it was recorded in mid-2012.
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:28 am

I read earlier reports from the case, but I didn't expect it would actually turn out like this Shocked The numbers involved tell their own story.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:48 pm

The saga continues, with the Gaye family trying to stop 'Blurred Lines' even being sold, and various parties like Nile Rodgers getting upset at what this result means for the wider industry (the end of Mark Ronson, perhaps - no bad thing).

Marvin Gaye family in court bid to halt Blurred Lines sales
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:11 am

Robin Thicke is unrepentant about the whole thing:

Robin Thicke says he was 'careless' during 'Blurred Lines' trial and going through 'personal hell'

Meanwhile, a judge has reduced the damages that Thicke and Williams have to pay:

Judge Reduces Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams's 'Blurred Lines' Case Payment By $2 Million

scratch
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:40 pm

Oh, I'm glad you obtained that info. Very Happy   I saw this a few days ago in an article then lost it before I could grasp what I was reading. This might become trendy ha. I could name dozens of songs that steals from other classics. In all fairness, I think Robin Thicke, most of all, is getting some karma he deserves. I said it when Blurred Lines was first released, Thicke's gigolo persona is going to be the ruination of him. Don't get me wrong, I admit to liking the song. I also like Uptown Funk, though think they're highly over-rated. Well maybe not, given today's sad music industry. Can't put my finger on it, but Thicke just makes my skin crawl. When I see his pic or a video, I just cringe looking at him. It's like he thinks he's a walking sex machine and flaunts something he doesn't have. Maybe he's a swell guy and I have him all wrong, dunno, don't care. Karma's a bitch really.
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:11 am

Meanwhile, back in the Blurred Lines case...

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8257580/blurred-lines-appeal-pharrell-robin-thicke-marvin-gaye-legal-analysis
The split 2-1 decision upheld a district court jury decision that determined that Thicke and Williams were liable for over $5 million in damages to Gaye's estate. But as Judge Milan D. Smith, Jr. explained in his ruling, the case was decided on "narrow grounds," meaning he would not rule against the original trial's weight of evidence or fact-finding. In effect, by declining to disturb the original jury decision, the majority judges ruled on very little in a case of great substance -- despite what many might have hoped
But I expect that's still not the end of it...
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Blurred Marvin Thicke Lines Empty blurred bloody lines

Post  misery guts Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:11 am

Final Verdict:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46550714
The long-running copyright case over hit song Blurred Lines has finally ended, with Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams told to pay $5m (£4m).
Good.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:48 am

Model Emily Ratajkowski, who appeared in the Blurred Lines video, has now alleged that Robin Thicke groped her during its making of  Rolling Eyes
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down