Rest in Peace

4 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Rest in Peace - Page 8 Empty Re: Rest in Peace

Post  Adric Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:51 pm

Steve Strange, Visage lead singer, dies aged 55 The Welsh New Romantic icon - best known for the hit Fade To Grey - died in hospital in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt.

Ex-Visage bandmates Midge Ure and Rusty Egan said they were "devastated" to hear of his "untimely passing", adding: "Steve was a major face of the 80s."

Boy George tweeted he was "heartbroken" about the death of Strange, saying he was "such a big part of my life".

Duran Duran frontman Simon Le Bon tweeted that Strange was "the leading edge of New Romantic. God Bless him".

Fellow 1980s pop star Billy Idol tweeted: "Very sad to hear of my friend Steve Strange passing, RIP mate."

Spandau Ballet guitarist Gary Kemp dedicated the band's performance in Italy to "a maverick to the end", while his brother and the band's bassist, Martin Kemp, tweeted: "RIP Steve Strange goodbye my dear friend. I will miss you!" Crying or Very sad
Adric
Adric
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Graham/546756334

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:52 am

Yes, rather sad news. Both Fade to Grey, and the Ashes to Ashes video are his highlights. Visage only just put out a new/old album before Christmas, too. 55 is probably a better number than he might have been expected to make at one stage, though still short of the norm.

RIP Sad
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:04 am

Composer and pianist John McCabe dies aged 75
A gifted artist, he had composed 13 symphonies by the age of 11, and his recordings of Joseph Haydn's piano sonatas are considered definitive.

His own compositions included orchestral and chamber music, and he was director of the London College of Music between 1983 and 1990.
RIP Sad
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:08 pm

We are sad to report that singer/songwriter Lesley Gore has passed away today at the age of 68.

She was born Lesley Sue Goldstein, May 2, 1946 in New York City, NY, and was raised in Tenefly, NJ.

In 1963, Lesley was a junior at the Dwight School for Girls in nearby Englewood when "It's My Party" became a #1 hit. It was later nominated for a Grammy Award for rock and roll recording. It sold over one million copies and was awarded a gold disc.

"It's My Party" was followed by many other hits, including the sequel "Judy's Turn to Cry" (US #5); "She's a Fool" (US #5); the protofeminist million-selling "You Don't Own Me", which held at #2 for three weeks behind the Beatles' "I Want To Hold Your Hand"; "That's the Way Boys Are" (US #12); "Maybe I Know" (US #14/UK #20); "Look of Love" (US #27); and Grammy-nominated "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows" (US #13), from the 1965 movie Ski Party.

In 1965, she appeared in the beach party film The Girls on the Beach in which she performed three songs: "Leave Me Alone", "It's Gotta Be You" and "I Don't Want to Be a Loser". Her record producer was Quincy Jones, who worked with Gore from 1963 to 1965.

Gore composed songs for the soundtrack of the 1980 film Fame, for which she received an Academy Award nomination for "Out Here on My Own", written with her brother Michael. Michael won the Academy Award for Best Original Song for the theme song of the same film.

Gore played concerts and appeared on television throughout the 1980s and 1990s.
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:32 am

Sad news. Interesting to learn she had a wider career beyond her big hit, though. RIP Sad
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:04 am

Brownstone Singer Charmayne Maxwell Dies at 46: Report Crying or Very sad

Charmayne Maxwell, a member of the '90s group Brownstone, died on Friday, according to her brother. She was 46.

The cause of death has not been determined, though the singer's mother-in-law reportedly told the Danish publication Ekstra Bladet that she died after a freak fall.

TMZ reports that the singer was found by her husband, music producer Carsten Soulshock, at their home Friday night.

Maxwell's brother Brandon Maxwell confirmed the death on Twitter Saturday, lamenting her "terrible" passing.

"R.I.P my beautiful sister Charmayne 'Maxee' Maxwell," he wrote. "I can't even believe I'm typing this right now."

He added a second Tweet: "Bad things happened to the most innocent people. My sister died in the most terrible way and I'm in so much pain right now."

Charmayne was a member of Brownstone for over a decade. Their biggest hit, "If You Love Me," earned a Grammy nod in 1995.

She is survived by her husband and their son.
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:58 am

Aw, that's a shame. They burned briefly, but they did a few good songs. I suspect this death will not receive the attention it merits. RIP Sad

=====

Leonard Nimoy released a few albums, you know, so it's perhaps worth mentioning him whilst we're at it. Not too bad a singer, really (although the Bilbo Baggins song is close to the Shatner Sound of madness):

If I Had A Hammer

He was 83, and one of the most recognisable American actors of the last half-century. RIP Sad
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:50 am

LN was a true talent in every way. While I've never been a Star Trek fan, I was very saddened by the news of his death. Everyone knew and loved him. I can imagine how hardcore fans are taking this. It's the equivalent of what we will go through when our beloved Tom Baker leaves this world. Such a wonderful talent and will be remembered for generations to come. RIP Sad
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:07 pm

Another legend has left us....  Sad   Three Dog Night keyboardist Jimmy Greenspoon dies (full article)

The band also posted this message on its Facebook page:

“We are very saddened at the passing of our dear friend and longtime band mate, Jimmy Greenspoon. Jimmy died peacefully at home today surrounded by his family. Please keep him and his loved ones in your prayers and your hearts.”

Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:25 pm

Sad RIP Toto Bassist Mike Porcaro Dead at 59

Mike Porcaro, the longtime bass player for Grammy-winning rock band Toto, died early Sunday morning at 59 following a battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's Disease).

Toto keyboardist and Porcaro's brother Steve confirmed the news on Facebook, writing, "Our brother Mike passed away peacefully in his sleep at 12:04 AM last night at home surrounded by his family. Rest in peace, my brother."
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:49 am

MOLLY HATCHET’S BRUCE CRUMP DIES  Sad  

Molly Hatchet has confirmed that original drummer Bruce Crump died today (March 16) at age 57. No immediate cause was announced.
“We are mourning the loss of a great friend and talented musician,” the band announced via their Facebook page. “This is a great loss to the Molly Hatchet family. Our prayers go out to all the family and friends of great friend Bruce. Rest in peace, Bruce. We will always love and remember you.”
Crump was a member of Molly Hatchet from 1976, when he joined at age 20, through the turn of the ’90s – save for a brief absence around 1983. He got into the band, Crump once said, almost by accident as a kid in the Jacksonville, Fla., area.
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:21 pm

Free's bassist Andy Fraser died aged 62
The London-born musician became a founding member of the British group when he was just 15.

He wrote most of the his material with Free lead singer Paul Rodgers, who went on to front bands Bad Company and The Firm.

"A survivor of both cancer and Aids, Andy was a strong social activist and defender of individual human rights," the statement read.
RIP Sad
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:29 pm

Another rock legend gone.... Twisted Sister Drummer A.J. Pero Dead at 55 RIP )-:
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:42 am

Been quite a bloodthirsty week Sad

Jackie Trent, who co-wrote the theme tune to Aussie soap Neighbours, and had a UK #1 in 1965, has died aged 74
When Trent was in her early twenties she met Tony Hatch, who would become her closest professional collaborator as well as her husband. The first song they wrote together, Where Are You Now (My Love), went to number one in the UK Singles Chart in May 1965.

Trent and Hatch married in 1967, and went on to co-write more than 400 songs, before separating in 1995. Before that they had a spell living in Australia in the 1980s, which is when they were commissioned to write the theme tune for Neighbours, which launched on March 18 1985.
RIP Sad
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:22 pm

Reality show one-hit wonder Lil Chris has unexpectedly died at the age of 24.
The singer and actor, whose real name was Chris Hardman, became famous after joining Kiss frontman Gene Simmons' Channel 4 show in 2006, aged 15.

He went on to have a top five hit with his first single Checkin' It Out shortly after.
He was apparently set to bring out a new "comeback" album too. No age, 24. RIP Sad
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:08 am

Folk guitarist from Pentangle John Renbourn died at his home in Hawick. He was 70. RIP Sad
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:28 am

Former Lynyrd Skynyrd Drummer Dies in Crash Sad

killed late Friday in a single-car wreck in unincorporated Cartersville, Bartow County, according to the Georgia State Patrol.

The crash occurred about 11:56 p.m. April 3 when Burns was driving northbound on Tower Ridge Road and his vehicle left the westside of the roadway while approaching a right curve, said patrol spokesperson Tracey Watson.

“After leaving the roadway, the driver struck a mailbox and a tree with the front of the vehicle,” Watson said.

Watson said the 64-year-old Burns was not wearing a seatbelt and was the only occupant in the vehicle. It has not been determined if weather played a role in the accident.

Robert Lewis “Bob” Burns was born on November 24, 1950, according to his Wikipedia bio, and helped form what would become Lynyrd Skynyrd while still a teen.

Named in 1968 following stints as The Noble Five and One Percent, the band helped popularize southern rock in the 1970s with signature songs “Sweet Home Alabama” and “Freebird.”

After three band members were killed in a 1977 plane crash, Lynyrd Skynyrd re-formed for a reunion tour in the late 1980s and continues to play around the country.
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:39 am

Ronnie Carroll a minor success from Belfast, has died aged 80. Apparently being twice selected to represent the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest appears to be considered his zenith. He was also married at one time to Millicent Martin. He was standing as a candidate in the forthcoming UK General Election (not with any serious chance of winning, mind). RIP anyway Sad

Rather more noteworthy is the death of Percy Sledge, a bona fide legend of US soul music, whose biggest hit was a US #1 and all-time classic:

When A Man Loves A Woman

Though he wrote it, he signed away the rights. But it was always his song, despite many other performers attempting to cover it, (most infamously, Michael Bolton).

RIP Sad
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:07 pm

Very sad news on Percy Sledge. Here's a picture of my sister at one his final concerts. Great man. RIP

Rest in Peace - Page 8 CevOdt
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:41 am

Great pic. Always came across as one of the good guys Cool
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:34 pm

Jack Ely, the former Portland guitarist and singer best known for the Kingsmen's 1960s hit "Louie, Louie," has died at age 71.at home in Redmond, Oregon, after a long battle with an undisclosed illness.
In 1963, as the story goes, The Kingsmen recorded "Louie, Louie" in a studio at Northwest 13th Avenue and Burnside. Ely, the only band member who knew all the words to Richard Berry's calypso-meets-R&B song that day had just had his braces tightened and couldn't enunciate clearly. The producer moved the microphone away from him, capturing the music but muffling the words.

Ely's incomprehensible vocal track famously spawned an FBI investigation  into whether the Portland-bred garage band violated federal obscenity laws with the lyrics of the hit, which was sweeping up the charts worldwide.
By the end of 1963, it reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 -- outpacing a rival recording from fellow Portland rock act Paul Revere and the Raiders. The Kingsmen's version remains the song's definitive take: Jack Ely had a lot to do with that.
I had no idea that October 5th was "Louie Louie" day. I heard Hot Chocolate did a version, no lyrics trouble there Laughing

RIP

From one extreme to the other... British ventriloquist Keith Harris died yesterday at the age of 67. He'd been suffering with cancer. Amongst a lengthy run on prime-time telly, he managed a #4 hit novelty record with his most infamous sidekick, Orville the Duck. The bird was named ironically after Orville Wright because it couldn't fly, though wanted to.

RIP
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri May 01, 2015 8:38 am

Another giant of soul has passed from us: Ben E King has died at the age of 76. As with Percy Sledge, he was synonymous with one timeless masterpiece
In an interview in 2013, he spoke of his fans' adoration for Stand By Me and pledged to perform it for the rest of his life to please crowds.

I'm so proud it has stood the test of time," he said.

Stand By Me

RIP Sad
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Wed May 06, 2015 10:17 am

Errol Brown dead: Friends of the Hot Chocolate singer say 'he was a gentleman'

Errol Brown has died at the age of 71.

His band Hot Chocolate had hits in the Seventies and Eighties with tracks such as "Everyone's A Winner" and "You Sexy Thing".

Brown's manager, Phil Dale, told The Independent: “Errol passed away peacefully with his family this morning of liver cancer.

“He was born on the 12 November 1943 and had been living in the Bahamas after he left the UK about 14 years ago.” Crying or Very sad
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed May 06, 2015 2:37 pm

He shared his birthday with my mum (bit older though) Sad

Yeah, I'm pretty sad about this, a wonderful band with a great many hits who have never (and even now, will never) get the recognition and respect they deserve. Also they were #1 in the UK when I was born:

So You Win Again

Respect, Errol Sad RIP
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri May 15, 2015 6:23 am

Well, it's really a rough time for losing all these giants:

BB King, the King of Blues, dies at 89
The "King of the Blues", guitarist and singer BB King, has died aged 89.

King, known for his hits My Lucille, Sweet Little Angel and Rock Me Baby, died in his sleep in Las Vegas.

Born in Mississippi, King began performing in the 1940s, going on to influence a generation of musicians and work with Eric Clapton and U2.

Once ranked as the third greatest guitarist of all time, he had been suffering ill health in recent months.

He was recently taken to hospital with a diabetes-related illness.
Sad RIP
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next