Hot 100 Chart Moves:

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hot 100 Chart Moves:

Post  misery guts on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:54 am

As somewhat predicted all week, Taylor Swift's return has led to her 1st ever UK #1 single, at the head of an all-female Top 3 Cool
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:10 am

I was listening to a compilation from 2006 recently where I realised that Daddy Yankee's only previous chart hit was the dreary "Gasolina".

Anyway, I see Cardi B has become only the 2nd ever female rapper (?) to get a US #1 (a mere 19 years after Lauryn Hill). I heard that a few weeks ago, seemed OK to me.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:09 am

Sam Smith has been brought down all too soon, but perhaps the very worst #1 song I've ever heard, even worse than Sex on Fire.

The fact that I had to look it up on YT last night because I've not come across it anywhere else tells me something, and listening to it tells me more (though not what merit it has that has made so many people download/stream it, bar some lifeless swearing).

All these months I've tried to defend this sort of music, and now how dumb do I look? Evil or Very Mad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:17 am

Don't beat yourself up. The fact that we both still chart this crap is what impresses me to no end lol. Music got hi-jacked somewhere down the lines. It's not the music is just "bad", it's worse than that. I can appreciate a good rap song so long as it still has rhythm. What I can't tolerate are all of the songs that are nothing more than sheer attacks on whomever. Nine out of ten of today's so called artist(s) make me ill. Even more intrusive than such music itself is that the artists are low-life convicts, not just their image. I do believe XXXtentacion is the worst of the lot. (Wiki that one). These modern day idiots are teaching our youth, not only to be rude little bastards, but young killers in the making. Bad enough racism has reared its' ugly head again (now manufactured) though still there. I'm not colorblind either. Acts such as Macklemore and Eminem make me ill.
  Then you have Billboard who I spent all of my life idolizing and lost count of the money I've put into their books / magazines. They are just as bad as the artists. They relish any artists(s) who attack the POTUS and are clearly on the Clinton payroll. Madonna wants to blow up the White House. Bruce Springsteen makes his living going on tour solely to bash on the president. Beyonce / Rihanna are funded by BLM. It's a sick joke. These people are NOT artists. They are fake soulless morons who will pervert anything needed in the name of the almighty dollar. I hate to sound like I'm preaching, but this is how I see it. I haven't listened to 21 Savage and have no desire to. I can already imagine how it sounds. That's what modern music has done to me. In past, at least I would give a song the benefit of the doubt until I've heard it. I longer want to hear it. The only artists in the states that I can even call 'real' anymore are Shawn Mendes and Portugal. The Man. I never would have imagined that such tripe would show up in the UK!
   I try to accept that Despacito was #1 for 16 bold weeks. I don't care for the song and think Bustin' Jeeber is a little snood and a 'Yes Boy'. Still, if you go to Billboard and look at comments on their FB, all you see from comments is, "Puerto Rican Power!" Evil or Very Mad    What I see is a world of cultures undivided and ready to start a civil war. Did Olivia Newton-John spend 10 weeks at #1 with 'Physical' by shouting, "White Power"? No! In a nutshell, today's music is a symptom of having to conform. I already stated that today's racism is manufactured. Billboard are in over their heads pushing the envelope promoting it so openly. It's a glass house that a child could see through. Sadly, this generation of kids grew up on gangsta rap and it's all they know. I honestly don't know how music will ever come back from this. So sad......
Adric
Admin

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Graham/546756334

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:32 am

Adric wrote:I can appreciate a good rap song so long as it still has rhythm.
Yeah, melody and a bit of meaning. Is that too much to ask? I thought Drake's 15 weeks at #1 last year with One Dance was disappointing, but that was a work of genius compared to "Rockstar".
I do believe XXXtentacion is the worst of the lot. (Wiki that one).  
I wondered about that, but it never made the top 30 here, so I guess there's no rush to find out now (yet)  Laughing  
I haven't listened to 21 Savage and have no desire to. I can already imagine how it sounds. That's what modern music has done to me. In past, at least I would give a song the benefit of the doubt until I've heard it. I longer want to hear it.
I'm tempted to say "it's worse than that". In fairness, Broccoli was much worse, but that never caught on here. You get the odd thing like "Black Beatles" or "Bad & Boujee" which I can't get my head around. I try to give everything a fair hearing, but there are just some songs that not only don't merit that, they seem to actively reject any such merit system.
Did Olivia Newton-John spend 10 weeks at #1 with 'Physical' by shouting, "White Power"? No!
It wasn't really feminism, though, was it? Wink
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:24 am

Seems the latest trend to promote music is by adding a feature when all else seems to be failing. Despacito was happily lingering in the Top 50 for months and suddenly, along comes Bustin' Jeeber and BOOM, #1! This week, Mi Gente blasts from #21 to #3. The sudden appearance of Beyonce couldn't have anything to do with that, could it?  Neutral
On a brighter note, Dua Lipa is up to #42 this week Smile
Adric
Admin

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Graham/546756334

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:16 am

Though I don't care for "Mi Gente", and even less for Beyoncé, I believe the argument here is that it's a new version to fund-raise for the Puerto Rico situation, and having seen the who-gives-a-toss? video done for it, it really sums up the lame attitude to the whole project. It does tell you that records like We Are The World simply would not happen now.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:59 am

Taylor Swift's new album has been another mega-selling #1 smash.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top