Hot 100 Chart Moves:

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hot 100 Chart Moves:

Post  misery guts on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:35 am

Alison Wenham wrote:“Having Ed Sheeran dominate virtually the whole of the Top 20 is indicative of the fact it is evolving and the rules will need to be examined fairly regularly in terms of the conversion – how many streams equals a download,”
Nope, that's not the issue...
Jon Webster wrote:“You should be looking at two different things: what’s happening in streaming, and what’s happening in sales. You can’t mix them. It ends up in two different metrics and that’s the problem,”
“When you were a kid and you bought a single, if you played it 500 times over five weeks it was still only one sale. But now we’re having that 500 times over five weeks in the chart. We live in a different world, and we need a different chart for a different world.”
Certainly blending the two is a nonsense if one is swamping the other so that it might as well just be the one.
Jeremy Pritchard wrote:“Something needs to happen,”“There should be some rules concerning what is and isn’t a single. If we’re still calling it the singles chart, should we be letting in stuff which hasn’t been identified as a single?
This is IT. A singles chart should cover singles. The occasional exception, like Coldplay's Viva La Vida, is acceptable, but there's no way on Earth you can argue that the entirety of an album constitutes singles, or that any consumer in their right mind thinks it is.

Plus there should be a cut-off point for old tracks.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:27 pm

YES, you get it! Personally, I think we'd be brilliant with this job. They all need to be fired, though how would it be re-vamped as correct? Technology? It could be done and if any passion is giving, it SHOULD be done. When do we start?

Adric
Admin

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Graham/546756334

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:21 am

Very Happy

Of course, it is an industry, so a relatively accurate measurement of public choice in art is not as important as the best way to make money.

Rather calmer UK chart this week, with NO new entries in the top 30, though Ed still makes up 90% of the top 10.

I also note that though 15 tracks dropped out (were pushed out) last week by Ed-Mania, none of them bounced back. Though there has been a lot of recovery, those lingering oldies which were flushed out have gone now (or for now). So it did at least have some positive effect, as used to be a familiar, regular turnover in the charts.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:48 am

Here we go again...

For the 3rd time in 4 weeks, one artist accounts for multiple new entries from their new album. It's recidivist Drake who, unlike Ed and Stormzy, has had next to no publicity/warning about this this week, which makes the result all the more egregious.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:47 pm

I almost said something snarky referencing Drake last week to say now he'll try and break Ed's record by releasing a ton of c"rap" at once. I wish I had now lol. I'm not gonna lie ... I hate Drake. I liked his first single years back, but I have no desire to hear anything he dishes out. Here, they're praising Nicki Minaj this week for beating Aretha Franklin out on Top 40 hits. Insulting! Aretha was the Singles charts, not the Streaming charts full of features. She also has much more class than that and wouldn't even try that. I'll call it now .... in a week or two,  Rihanna will beat out Nicki Minaj. I used to chart music so I'd know what to buy. Now I chart it as to know what to avoid lol.
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:39 am

In fairness, Drake is merely the expression of a seriously faulty system. I was less upset about Ed because I like the guy and he's usually got something interesting and different to pass on. When a guy is judged to be charting with Interludes from his record, then that's just how stupid things have got.

The thing is, the industry works from this chart as the #1 relevant indication of success, and it's nonsense now.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:25 pm

Drake Breaks Hot 100 Records: Most Hits Among Solo Artists & Most Simultaneously Charted Songs
Drake charts 24 songs on the latest Hot 100, breaking his own record for the most simultaneous hits on the chart. Plus, he ups his career total to 154 chart entries, passing Lil Wayne for the most among solo acts.

As Drake's new album More Life blasts in at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 (dated April Cool, the hip-hop superstar smashes records on the Billboard Hot 100.

Most notably, with all 22 tracks from the set, as well as two others, on the Hot 100 at once, Drake passes Lil Wayne for the most charted titles among soloists (154) in the Hot 100's 58-year history, while breaking his own mark for the most simultaneously charted Hot 100 titles in a week (24).

Drake also rewrites his own record for the most Hot 100 debuts in a week, sending 21 songs, all from More Life, onto the list for the first time.

First, Drake takes over as the soloist with the most Hot 100 appearances dating to the chart's Aug. 4, 1958, inception. With 21 debuts, he ups his count to 154 visits, blowing past Lil Wayne (135), who had held the mark among solo artists since October 2012, when he passed Elvis Presley, 109 to 108; notably, Presley's career predated the Hot 100's origin by more than two years. Among all acts, only the cast of Fox's Glee (a rotating troupe with certain members present throughout the TV show's six-season run in 2009-15) boasts more: 207.

Here is an updated count of the acts with the most Hot 100 entries all-time:

207, Glee Cast
154, Drake
135, Lil Wayne
108, Elvis Presley
91, James Brown
87, Jay Z
82, Chris Brown
81, Kanye West
77, Nicki Minaj
75, Ray Charles

Drake's coronation as the soloist with the most charted Hot 100 titles occurs a week after Nicki Minaj passed Aretha Franklin (76 to 73, as of last week) for the highest total among female soloists; Franklin had held that honor for nearly 40 years. (This week, Minaj adds her 77th Hot 100 entry, as Jason Derulo's "Swalla," featuring Minaj and Ty Dolla $ign, debuts at No. 98.)

Of his 154 Hot 100 titles, Drake has charted 103 as a lead artist (or 67 percent of his total). Only the Glee Cast (207) and Presley (108) have notched more entries as leads, showing lead billing on all of their charted titles.

As for the single-week record for the most charted Hot 100 entries, Drake's 24 on the new April 8-dated list passes his own mark of 20, which he logged on the Hot 100 dated May 21, 2016, the week that his prior album Views debuted atop the Billboard 200.

Additionally, Drake's 21 Hot 100 debuts on the April 8 chart are the most in a single week, topping the 16 songs, all from Views, that bowed on May 21, 2016.

And, one more historic total: With all 22 tracks from More Life on the new Hot 100, Drake breaks the record for the most simultaneously charted Hot 100 titles from a single album, lifting past the 18 each for Views (May 21, 2016) and The Weeknd's Starboy (Dec. 17, 2016); like Views, the latter set tied the record the week that it arrived atop the Billboard 200.

Here is a look at the record 24 songs that Drake places on the April 8-dated Hot 100:

No. 8, "Passionfruit" (debut)
No. 9, "Portland," feat. Quavo and Travis Scott (debut)
No. 15, "Fake Love" (up from No. 31 in its 22nd week after reaching No. 8 in February)
No. 18, "Free Smoke" (debut)
No. 29, "Gyalchester" (debut)
No. 35, "Teenage Fever" (debut)
No. 36, "Sacrifices," feat. 2 Chainz and Young Thug (debut)
No. 38, "Blem" (debut)
No. 40, "No Long Talk," feat. Giggs (debut)
No. 45, "Get It Together," feat. Jorja Smith and Black Coffee (debut)
No. 48, "KMT," feat. Giggs (debut)
No. 49, "Jorja Interlude" (debut)
No. 50, "4422," feat. Sampha (debut)
No. 51, "Madiba Ridim" (debut)
No. 54, "Glow," feat. Kanye West (debut)
No. 58, "Both," Gucci Mane feat. Drake (down from No. 51 in its 14th week after reaching No. 41 in January)
No. 60, "Do Not Disturb" (debut)
No. 61, "Nothings Into Something" (debut)
No. 62, "Ice Melts," feat. Young Thug (debut)
No. 64, "Lose You" (debut)
No. 70, "Since Way Back," feat. PARTYNEXTDOOR (debut)
No. 76, "Skepta Interlude" (debut)
No. 82, "Can't Have Everything" (debut)
No. 84, "No Frauds," Nicki Minaj, Drake & Lil Wayne (down from No. 14 in its second week)

Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' Tops Hot 100; Drake Debuts Two in Top 10
With "Passionfruit" and "Portland" debuting at Nos. 8 and 9 on the Hot 100, respectively, Drake is just the second artist to notch simultaneous top 10 debuts, following Ed Sheeran, whose "Shape of You" (the No. 1 song on the chart for a ninth week on the April 8 survey) and "Castle on the Hill" entered at Nos. 1 and 6, respectively, on Jan. 28. Drake's two new Hot 100 top 10s up his count to 20 for his career as he becomes the 17th act to hit that milestone. (Madonna leads all acts with 38 top 10s.)

Streaming is the main driver for each of More Life's Hot 100-charted songs this week. As previously reported, the set drew a record 384.8 million streams for its songs in its first week (ending March 23), according to Nielsen Music, besting the 245.1 million song streams that Views' songs garnered in their first frame.

On the Billboard 200, More Life vaults in at No. 1 with 505,000 equivalent album units in its opening week.

The Hot 100, Billboard 200 and all Billboard charts will update tomorrow (March 28) on Billboard.com.
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:29 am

OK, so you proved your point LOL Laughing No
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:47 am

Ed Sheeran's 13 week-run at #1 looks probably set to end soon, because Harry Styles has dropped his first solo single, Sign Of The Times.

His album is still going great guns, though.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:20 am

misery guts wrote:Ed Sheeran's 13 week-run at #1 looks probably set to end soon, because Harry Styles has dropped his first solo single, Sign Of The Times.

His album is still going great guns, though.

The toilet paper we call Billboard now has posted over 30 articles about Harry Styles today alone. I do look forward to giving it a listen. Really think it takes well here in the states and I believe he will. From a "Summer" type band (notice the boy bands always come out in summer) I think he will do well. I think the majority of music fans are in dire need of a change.
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:03 am

I won't spoil your anticipation, but as far as I can tell, it's nearer Ed Sheeran than Drake Exclamation
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:21 am

Well ..... Rolling Eyes Will they ever admit that streaming is an epic fail?

Harry Styles could miss out on number one after streaming glitch  <---- Click for full article

Harry Styles' chances of hitting number one with his debut solo single could be harmed by a glitch on Spotify.
Fans couldn't find the new track Sign Of The Times on Friday morning, after it got its first play on the BBC Radio 1 Breakfast Show.
For several hours, when they searched for "Harry Styles" on Spotify, the song didn't appear in the results.
It was also supposed to be on Spotify's New Music Friday playlist, but couldn't be seen.

Spotify ✔ @Spotify
Hey @Harry_Styles fans, sorry if you had trouble playing this, but here it is now ==> #SignOfTheTimes http://spoti.fi/2oM8krw
3:18 PM - 8 Apr 2017
 3,792 3,792 Retweets   6,018 6,018 likes

Newsbeat contacted Spotify but there is no official comment from them at the moment.
This hasn't stopped fans from worrying that the glitch has messed up Harry's chances of topping the charts.

SignOfTheTimes @xYuriiix
#SPOTIFY REALLY MESSED UP YESTERDAY! Harry Styles needs our help! We must STREAM his song on spotify, youtube, itunes to catch up!
4:54 PM - 8 Apr 2017

elaine
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:43 am

It won't Laughing Certainly not after this blatant advertising about it...

There was a silly story when only the title was known, suggesting that the title was disrespectful to Prince Shocked seeing as how he had a song (30 years old this year, no less) of almost the same name.

Of course, there was a Roxy Music song of the same name first, but still, what's ersatz rage without ignorance, huh? Rolling Eyes
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:32 am

misery guts wrote:It won't Laughing Certainly not after this blatant advertising about it...

There was a silly story when only the title was known, suggesting that the title was disrespectful to Prince Shocked seeing as how he had a song (30 years old this year, no less) of almost the same name.

Of course, there was a Roxy Music song of the same name first, but still, what's ersatz rage without ignorance, huh? Rolling Eyes

Oh good grief. Knowing these millennials, they blame Prince, the ones that could even name a song title w/o having to google it. We could start an entire thread on like song titles lol. Roxy Music, very sadly, only hit the states with "Love Is The Drug", but I guess that's Ke$ha's fault Neutral
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:52 am

Adric wrote:Oh good grief. Knowing these millennials, they blame Prince, the ones that could even name a song title w/o having to google it. We could start an entire thread on like song titles lol.
Fair enough Laughing
Roxy Music, very sadly, only hit the states with "Love Is The Drug", but I guess that's Ke$ha's fault  Neutral  
Ah, no Dance Away, no Avalon, even no Virginia Plain for the rock fans. Shame.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:49 am

Styles did make it to #1 Cool

Ed Sheeran's Shape of You thus stops its run at 13 weeks, which I think puts it 4th on the all-time lists, behind Wet Wet Wet and Drake in joint second, and Bryan Adams top (this is for single runs, and thus not to compare with Frankie Laine's overall weeks record).
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:30 am

Shape of You is now back up to 14 weeks Shocked

Otherwise, the UK saw Kendrick Lamar become the latest act to get lots of silly new entries (although I quite like the lead single Humble).
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat May 06, 2017 1:10 am

And from out of nowhere, DJ Khaled is UK #1 (with help from Justin Bieber)! Shocked Shocked Shocked
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Sat May 06, 2017 5:35 am

misery guts wrote:And from out of nowhere, DJ Khaled is UK #1 (with help from Justin Bieber)! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Lol -- No surprise. On our end 'Despacito' spent the past several weeks lingering between #50-#45. It was by Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee. Suddenly, Bieber becomes part of the feature and it "pooof" went to #9. Just goes to show that it's no longer about the song. It can be utter crap and still hit #1 depending on the name behind it. DJ Khaled is the queen of features and I bet he hasn't even heard of Skaro. Laughing
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon May 08, 2017 7:56 am

Funny you say that, I saw the Despacito vid a week or two back being pushed as "the return of Bieber" and I couldn't see what he had to do with it Surprised The problem with the guy is that it's almost impossible to believe he has any musical credibility at all, outside of singing. Are people buying these records because they're great records, or because they're just pieces of merchandise? What a situation we're in.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top