Hot 100 Chart Moves:

2 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Hot 100 Chart Moves:  - Page 3 Empty Re: Hot 100 Chart Moves:

Post  misery guts Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:24 am

Despacito, of course, came back twice to the top, but seems like it might have had its day this time.

Calvin Harris has managed to get the headline result for an 8th #1 single, putting him equal with the Rolling Stones, Oasis and Eminem. In truth, this just shows how meaningless such statistics now are - I was unaware that Oasis slithered up to 8, and am at a loss to know how Eminem crawled to that same target, let alone what Mr Harris' octet are Mad

What Feels, Despacito and Wild Thoughts shows is that if you cram a record with enough contributors, you can appeal to more segments of the market than otherwise. Certainly, Bieber, Rihanna and Perry seem otherwise superfluous to these creations, but would not sell anywhere near the same numbers without them.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:24 am

I must admit that I haven't heard 'Feels' and only have heard 'Despacito' enough to hear the neighbor blaring it in her car every time she pulls up. In all fairness, unless I've heard it by accident, I haven't heard much of anything dished out this year. Heard 'Wild Thoughts' recently and all I could hear is, "Wah Wah Wah  Wah". Yes, I chart this crap every week, but it doesn't mean I listen to it lol. I did spot Troye Sivan in your countdown and am happy about that. He hit very briefly here with 'Youth' and one of the very few singers of today I can appreciate. His music is good and he is his own person that hasn't sold their soul to the music industry. Anywho, so happy to see Despacito finally take a tumble. Not showing any signs of budging here, sadly. I'll give 'Feels' a listen but not expecting to be impressed. I generally like a singer's first hit and then they're doing the featuring thing. Calvin is no exception.
Adric
Adric
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Graham/546756334

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:10 am

What gets me the most is that often the first I hear of these tracks is when they arrive in the top 40, which seems really weird. I mean, 20 years ago, you'd hear them about 6-8 weeks ahead and be sick of them, but now there they already are. and it's like "this is a hit so it must be good" and I'm "well, I'd like to judge for myself" really.

Despacito I have done well to avoid, Wild Thoughts too, Feels is more difficult because it seems to crossover in the mainstream. I expected Subeme La Radio to be the next big thing, as it fulfils the same basic criteria as these three already do.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:51 am

The other thing about 'Feels' is that it has that 'Uptown Funk' quality that you think you must have heard it before because it sounds so derivative of other records.

Anyway none of that now matters because something shocking has happened in the UK, as a new(-ish) act with no collaborative help, not pushing a new album, or a charity record, or for any other immediately obvious hype reason, has got her 1st #1 single. I can't recall the last time that happened, it must be at least more than a year ago Surprised Question cheers queen sunny
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:10 am

I was listening to a compilation from 2006 recently where I realised that Daddy Yankee's only previous chart hit was the dreary "Gasolina".

Anyway, I see Cardi B has become only the 2nd ever female rapper (?) to get a US #1 (a mere 19 years after Lauryn Hill). I heard that a few weeks ago, seemed OK to me.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:09 am

Sam Smith has been brought down all too soon, but perhaps the very worst #1 song I've ever heard, even worse than Sex on Fire.

The fact that I had to look it up on YT last night because I've not come across it anywhere else tells me something, and listening to it tells me more (though not what merit it has that has made so many people download/stream it, bar some lifeless swearing).

All these months I've tried to defend this sort of music, and now how dumb do I look? Evil or Very Mad
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:17 am

Don't beat yourself up. The fact that we both still chart this crap is what impresses me to no end lol. Music got hi-jacked somewhere down the lines. It's not the music is just "bad", it's worse than that. I can appreciate a good rap song so long as it still has rhythm. What I can't tolerate are all of the songs that are nothing more than sheer attacks on whomever. Nine out of ten of today's so called artist(s) make me ill. Even more intrusive than such music itself is that the artists are low-life convicts, not just their image. I do believe XXXtentacion is the worst of the lot. (Wiki that one). These modern day idiots are teaching our youth, not only to be rude little bastards, but young killers in the making. Bad enough racism has reared its' ugly head again (now manufactured) though still there. I'm not colorblind either. Acts such as Macklemore and Eminem make me ill.
  Then you have Billboard who I spent all of my life idolizing and lost count of the money I've put into their books / magazines. They are just as bad as the artists. They relish any artists(s) who attack the POTUS and are clearly on the Clinton payroll. Madonna wants to blow up the White House. Bruce Springsteen makes his living going on tour solely to bash on the president. Beyonce / Rihanna are funded by BLM. It's a sick joke. These people are NOT artists. They are fake soulless morons who will pervert anything needed in the name of the almighty dollar. I hate to sound like I'm preaching, but this is how I see it. I haven't listened to 21 Savage and have no desire to. I can already imagine how it sounds. That's what modern music has done to me. In past, at least I would give a song the benefit of the doubt until I've heard it. I longer want to hear it. The only artists in the states that I can even call 'real' anymore are Shawn Mendes and Portugal. The Man. I never would have imagined that such tripe would show up in the UK!
   I try to accept that Despacito was #1 for 16 bold weeks. I don't care for the song and think Bustin' Jeeber is a little snood and a 'Yes Boy'. Still, if you go to Billboard and look at comments on their FB, all you see from comments is, "Puerto Rican Power!" Evil or Very Mad    What I see is a world of cultures undivided and ready to start a civil war. Did Olivia Newton-John spend 10 weeks at #1 with 'Physical' by shouting, "White Power"? No! In a nutshell, today's music is a symptom of having to conform. I already stated that today's racism is manufactured. Billboard are in over their heads pushing the envelope promoting it so openly. It's a glass house that a child could see through. Sadly, this generation of kids grew up on gangsta rap and it's all they know. I honestly don't know how music will ever come back from this. So sad......
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:32 am

Adric wrote:I can appreciate a good rap song so long as it still has rhythm.
Yeah, melody and a bit of meaning. Is that too much to ask? I thought Drake's 15 weeks at #1 last year with One Dance was disappointing, but that was a work of genius compared to "Rockstar".
I do believe XXXtentacion is the worst of the lot. (Wiki that one).  
I wondered about that, but it never made the top 30 here, so I guess there's no rush to find out now (yet)  Laughing  
I haven't listened to 21 Savage and have no desire to. I can already imagine how it sounds. That's what modern music has done to me. In past, at least I would give a song the benefit of the doubt until I've heard it. I longer want to hear it.
I'm tempted to say "it's worse than that". In fairness, Broccoli was much worse, but that never caught on here. You get the odd thing like "Black Beatles" or "Bad & Boujee" which I can't get my head around. I try to give everything a fair hearing, but there are just some songs that not only don't merit that, they seem to actively reject any such merit system.
Did Olivia Newton-John spend 10 weeks at #1 with 'Physical' by shouting, "White Power"? No!
It wasn't really feminism, though, was it? Wink
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:24 am

Seems the latest trend to promote music is by adding a feature when all else seems to be failing. Despacito was happily lingering in the Top 50 for months and suddenly, along comes Bustin' Jeeber and BOOM, #1! This week, Mi Gente blasts from #21 to #3. The sudden appearance of Beyonce couldn't have anything to do with that, could it?  Neutral
On a brighter note, Dua Lipa is up to #42 this week Smile
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:16 am

Though I don't care for "Mi Gente", and even less for Beyoncé, I believe the argument here is that it's a new version to fund-raise for the Puerto Rico situation, and having seen the who-gives-a-toss? video done for it, it really sums up the lame attitude to the whole project. It does tell you that records like We Are The World simply would not happen now.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:17 am

Adric wrote:Billboard released an article recently saying that they would be changing the chart release dates to Saturdays.
Surprisingly, they released an updated chart today, still dated Jan. 6th. Not exactly sure what they're playing at here or if their minds are as far gone as today's charts. Also, not sure if the next chart update will come this Saturday or next week sometime. Will check daily until their new year's mess is sorted out and they are on a regular schedule again.
It seems weird that what, to me, has been a long-standing problem going back decades, might finally be fixed by the simple method of just getting the dates right, but we'll know better next week.

The UK chart returned to some semblance of where it approximately was a month ago before the whole Christmas oldies crap took over. It's not worth mentioning whatever records were set this week because the whole farce is just so silly.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:38 am

2018 has really kicked off now, with new material from Justin Timberlake and Bruno Mars. Also the Greatest Showman movie soundtrack seems to be catching the ears of many discerning record buyers.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:43 am

Drake looks threatened by Rudimental for next week.

Though Troye Sivan didn't make the bigger breakthrough he might have expected, Portugal the Man is finally into the UK top 10 with Feel It Still.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:58 am

Drake looks threatened by Rudimental for next week.
He's tied now with The Beatles here. No doubt he'll be replaced by KanYe, Minaj, Rihanna etc etc soon enough with yet another several feature songs in one given countdown. It'll be a never ending cycle that won't end until every artist from a REAL time in music is longer on any record holding list. It's like I knew right away the moment I first heard of Cardi B (sounds like a brand of cheap liquor) that she would have 5 or more songs in the Top 40. Sure enough, that didn't even take 3 months. Migos outta be breaking a few records before long. They now have 'Stir Fry' in the Top 20. Haven't heard it and hope not to. Must be the 2018 version of 'Broccoli'. No

Though Troye Sivan didn't make the bigger breakthrough he might have expected, Portugal the Man is finally into the UK top 10 with Feel It Still.
Very happy for Portugal. The Man and something that still sounds like music. Sadly, Troye has two things going against him ... his open sexuality and the fact that he is his own artist and doesn't do features. He also keeps his political views to himself, so Billboard has no interest in promoting him.
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:32 am

I don't mind Cardi B, or SZA for that matter.

I'm not sharing the love for Portugal the Man, but hey, it might be early days Cool
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:25 am

Drake still got the drop on Rudimental, pretty boring now.

Portugal is still hanging in the top 10 though I don't expect it making it much further.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:12 am

Rudimental did finally overtake Drake this week, more seemingly that Drake fell away though.

George Ezra's new LP knocked the Greatest Showman soundtrack from the top of the album charts after 11 weeks too Shocked
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:49 am

The bad news seems to be that Lil Dicky & Chris Brown will be the next toppers Rolling Eyes
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:23 am

It gives me no satisfaction to be proved dead right Rolling Eyes Exclamation
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Wed May 02, 2018 4:45 am

Billboard Finalizes Changes to How Streams Are Weighted for Billboard Hot 100 & Billboard 200 -

Greater emphasis to be given to paid subscription streams, with ad-supported activity remaining an important factor on the album & songs charts.
The adjustment to how Billboard applies streaming data to its charts was first announced in concept last October, and was followed by exhaustive industry discussion and internal analysis to arrive at the new methodology.

Currently, Billboard has two defined types of streaming plays for the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart (and our other genre-specific hybrid songs charts): on-demand (such as Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify and YouTube) and programmed (such as Pandora and Slacker Radio), with on-demand having a greater weight. The Billboard 200 albums chart -- and our other genre-based consumption-ranked albums charts -- uses a single tier (equating 1,500 streams as one album unit) for on-demand audio streams (paid or ad-supported) from subscription services. Video streams and programmed audio streams do not contribute to the Billboard 200’s calculations, but are incorporated into the Hot 100.

Beginning with the first week of Nielsen’s third quarter of 2018 (sales and streaming week of June 29 to July 5, which will be reflected on Billboard charts dated July 14), plays on paid subscription-based services (such as Apple Music and Amazon Music) or on the paid subscription tiers of hybrid paid/ad-supported platforms (such as Spotify and SoundCloud) will be given more weight in chart calculations than plays on ad-supported services (such as YouTube) or on the non-paid tiers of hybrid paid/ad-supported services.

Billboard will have multiple weighted tiers of streaming plays for the Hot 100, which take into account paid subscription streams (representing a full point value per play), ad-supported streams (representing a 2/3-point value per play) and programmed streams (representing a 1/2-point value per play). Those values are then applied to the chart’s formula alongside all-genre radio airplay and digital song sales data. Streaming remains the most dominant factor on the chart, followed by radio airplay and digital sales in descending order of significance.

The Billboard 200 will now include two tiers of on-demand audio streams. TIER 1: paid subscription audio streams (equating 1,250 streams to 1 album unit) and TIER 2: ad-supported audio streams (equating 3,750 streams to 1 album unit).

Streams from trial subscriptions that offer the same access and functionality as a paid tier will be considered TIER 1. At this juncture, the Billboard 200 will continue to not incorporate video streams. The Billboard 200 ranks the most popular albums of the week based on multimetric consumption, which includes traditional album sales, track equivalent albums (equating 10 sold tracks to 1 album unit), and streaming equivalent albums.

The shift to a multi-level streaming approach to Billboard’s chart methodology is reflective of a global push to measure streams in a revenue-reflective and access-based manner. Music is now being consumed on streaming services in more diverse ways, migrating from a pure on-demand experience to a more diverse selection of listening preferences (including playlists and radio) and the various options in which a consumer can access music differs based on their subscription commitment.

Beginning in 2019, the Billboard 200 will further separate paid subscription audio streams into two distinctive tiers, with the higher tier including paid subscriptions that provide full music library access and no restrictions on on-demand functionality and a secondary tier that reflects paid subscriptions that provide a partial music library and/or limited on-demand functionality. Beginning in the fourth quarter of 2018, the ratios for all the streaming tiers will be re-evaluated, with any changes implemented at the start of 2019.
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Wed May 02, 2018 7:34 am

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it - and if it is broke, break it some more"
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric Wed May 02, 2018 11:27 am

misery guts wrote:"If it ain't broke, don't fix it - and if it is broke, break it some more"

Streaming, imho, should be the least important factor upon charting. It's a recipe for buying your way to the top. Granted, I haven't listened to radio since the 90's, though what little I've heard while driving, they don't even have proper DJ's anymore. It's like an app. being selectively played via a computer. They really have nothing new that they can play aside from Ed Sheeran, Shawn Mendes and a few others that actually still sing. 90% of what's in today's charts couldn't be played on radio w/o breaking every guideline they have. Well, they could but all you would hear is, "Bleep Bleep Bleep". There seem to be far more oldie stations around now considering music essentially died with Michael Jackson. It'd actually be easier to take these modern charts with a grain of salt if some oldies popped up (aside from those untimely deaths ... RIP Avicii) Sad
I've finally come to the conclusion that in today's backwards world of music, we should be counting the charts backwards. #100 is generally the best song in the countdown lol. Truly, I can only see one valid solution. Clearly the people that once ran Billboard are long gone and the music mafia are in full control. How their overpriced magazine stays afloat is beyond me, unless it's being funded by the Soros types. The magazine needs to be exterminated, preferably by a Dalek. Bring about a new source of counting down the charts in a way that no one would ever turn to Billboard to see what's considered popular. There are still fantastic acts out there that make real valid music. They need to be heard and Billboard would never do that unless they allowed the ruination of their songs by crap features.
Adric
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Fri May 04, 2018 6:57 am

I do agree that streaming is treated with more reverence than it deserves. The notion that people are able to stream a track multiple times and count each time makes a blatant nonsense of it. The idea that YouTube views count too really makes it even worse. Here am I looking through obscure oldies, and somehow counting the same as modern day bands releasing new material? Question
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat May 19, 2018 1:44 am

Arctic Monkeys scored their 6th #1 LP out of 6.

Childish Gambino is moving more slowly up the UK than I see he has in the US.
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:12 am

Calvin Harris' #1 run came to a rather abrupt end, and Jess Glynne's record of #1s has increased.

The Greatest Showman soundtrack has now surpassed the tally of 18 non-consecutive weeks at #1 that Saturday Night Fever clocked up. Long way to go to topple South Pacific's record of 70, though:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44501891
misery guts
misery guts
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next