Hot 100 Chart Moves:

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hot 100 Chart Moves:

Post  misery guts on Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:29 am

Funny you should say that... Laughing

This is the 1st I've heard about this Broccoli song, so I trolled along to YT to check it out.

And you're complaining about Chainsmokers?!? (admittedly, not all that hot)

In comparative terms of offensive worthlessness, the Chainsmokers are like a termite mound, whilst Broccoli is Mount Rushmore Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad No No No
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:06 pm

misery guts wrote:Funny you should say that... Laughing

This is the 1st I've heard about this Broccoli song, so I trolled along to YT to check it out.

And you're complaining about Chainsmokers?!? (admittedly, not all that hot)

In comparative terms of offensive worthlessness, the Chainsmokers are like a termite mound, whilst Broccoli is Mount Rushmore Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad No No No

LOL --- Great response and so true.
Adric
Admin

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Graham/546756334

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:10 am

I clearly spoke too soon Surprised

Rae Sremmurd is both a terrible name, and Black Beatles is a terrible song (though not nearly as bad as Broccoli).

But it looks a good bet to match its US #1 in the UK next week, or soon No
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:00 am

misery guts wrote:I clearly spoke too soon Surprised

Rae Sremmurd is both a terrible name, and Black Beatles is a terrible song (though not nearly as bad as Broccoli).

But it looks a good bet to match its US #1 in the UK next week, or soon No

Agreed all around. The more research I do the more I believe that Billboard's biggest funder is Prison For Profit. Terrible to see how our charts have rubbed off on the UK charts that have always been so so much better. What's funny is that I've met two different types of people. 1) Those that have no idea who Rae Sremmurd are and 2) Those that can't stand it. How this madness is so popular is absolutely beyond me. Would it also be safe to assume that Paul McCartney is a sell-out? He also did those garbage songs with KanYe last year. Truly depressing to visit Billboard's FB page as well. All of the comments are from little middle school fan boys / girls that love this so called music.
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:21 am

We're not saying that crap music is solely related to black guys, though. It does seem a shame that Drake, Fetty Wap and so on seem to be seen as speaking for a generation, though. The songs tend to be just so lame.
There are plenty of crap white musical jokes, too, alas.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:13 am

misery guts wrote:We're not saying that crap music is solely related to black guys, though. It does seem a shame that Drake, Fetty Wap and so on seem to be seen as speaking for a generation, though. The songs tend to be just so lame.
There are plenty of crap white musical jokes, too, alas.

No, nothing like that at all. I think what irks me most is that we seem to have "actors" as opposed to true singers. Maybe I'm just stuck in the past lol. There was a time when the television shows relied on the talent to come to them (American Bandstand, Solid Gold, Nite Tracks, Friday Night Videos, original MTV, VH1, etc etc). Now days the talent seems to mainly come from the tv shows (AI, DWTS, BGT, etc etc). Never mind whether or not you can sing ... you must be a supermodel, preferably 18 or younger.
I know that's not exactly how it is, though it seems that way. Radio is so dead now that music seems to be in a state of flux. Talent discovered on reality television, not radio. Movies are a huge culprit too although there hasn't been anything as successful as 'Grease' since ... 'Grease' lol. If I were The Doctor, I'd ask Billboard to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow. Smile
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:29 am

When I was young, I used to listen to the radio and think it must be cool to play records and care about the charts.

Then I got older and realised that most DJs do no such thing.

That what I in fact wanted to be was Paul Gambaccini / Casey Kasem.

Oh well... Rolling Eyes
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Here's another thing about today's charts that annoy me to no end.
The Weeknd Charts Entire 'Starboy' Album on Hot 100 .

Granted, I haven't heard any of these songs aside from Starboy, which I can take or leave. Quite liked 'The Hills' & 'Can't Feel My Face', yet again, overkill returns. Quantity over quality. I'm sure at least half of these entries are what "my generation" called B-Sides lol.  cyclops
(dated 12/6/16)

Here is a look at all 18 Starboy songs that The Weeknd places on the latest Hot 100:

No. 2, "Starboy," feat. Daft Punk (up from No. 3)
No. 16, "Party Monster" (up from No. 39)
No. 22, "I Feel It Coming," feat. Daft Punk (up from No. 48)
No. 27, "Sidewalks," feat. Kendrick Lamar (new)
No. 31, "Reminder" (new)
No. 34, "Six Feet Under" (new)
No. 43, "Die for You" (new)
No. 44, "Rockin' " (new)
No. 46, "All I Know," feat. Future (new)
No. 47, "Secrets" (new)
No. 48, "True Colors" (new)
No. 55, "False Alarm" (re-entry)
No. 61, "Stargirl Interlude," feat. Lana Del Rey (new)
No. 67, "Attention" (new)
No. 68, "Nothing Without You" (new)
No. 69, "A Lonely Night" (new)
No. 71, "Love to Lay" (new)
No. 72, "Ordinary Life" (new)
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:03 am

Yeah, he had about 8 entries in the UK top 100 as well. Utterly ludicrous, it cheapens both the singles and the albums chart.

This is yet to happen with an artist I particularly like Laughing
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:56 am

J Cole had a somewhat similar multi-entry experience in the UK, though mostly between #41 and #100.

Rae Sremmurd looks to have missed its chance to be UK #1, though God help us it might come back in January. The Christmas surge last week seemed to die off slightly this week too.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:29 am

I see that J Cole did rather better in the US Shocked

The Christmas surge came back in the UK this week, but the highest "entry" was for a 1964 #1 that's nothing to do with Christmas at all (I think there's a soccer connection, but whilst I do find soccer interesting generally, it and music are two interests that "never the twain should meet").

This was probably the first time maybe in a generation where the "battle for Christmas #1" has basically seen no serious contenders get anywhere at all.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:39 am

An even more ridiculous Christmas surge this week, as Brenda Lee and Andy Williams return to the top 40 Mad

Oddly, though, given the general upsweep of Christmas tunes, Chris Rea's classic Driving Home for Christmas dropped from #26 out of the 100, so presumably that was a technical matter rather than people suddenly going "ooh, I don't fancy it".

Despite my guess, Wham's Last Christmas only made it up to #7. There were other George Michael related re-entries further down the singles and albums charts.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:04 am

Last week's Christmas clearout suggested a false start, but this week sees definite changes in the UK, capped by Ed Sheeran's 1-2 at the top of the chart, dramatically ending Clean Bandit's 9-week run at the top. Time will tell if it sustains though.

I see Migos has unfortunately topped the US lists. Only up to #50 over here yet. Big moves for Starley, and Jax Jones, into the Top 10 though.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:06 pm

misery guts wrote:Last week's Christmas clearout suggested a false start, but this week sees definite changes in the UK, capped by Ed Sheeran's 1-2 at the top of the chart, dramatically ending Clean Bandit's 9-week run at the top. Time will tell if it sustains though.

I see Migos has unfortunately topped the US lists. Only up to #50 over here yet. Big moves for Starley, and Jax Jones, into the Top 10 though.

Much more improvement on your end! Very Happy Still scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Migos ... Mad ... I can't even listen to that. Sia just released a new video called 'Move Your Body' and is certainly worth a look as she glams up the 80's and it actually has rhythm. Having said that, it'll likely elude the Top 40 all together. Ed Sheeran I wish luck to here. I expect he'll debut high and steadily drop, though one may stick and seems to be a #2 guy. I mean, with competition like Migos and gnikcuf rae sremmurd, he has his work cut out for him. Laughing
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:52 am

Migos is like Broccoli pt 2 to my ears. And ISTR Gladys Knight had a Bourgie Bourgie song, so what's new here? The bad attitude.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:19 am

Very surprisingly, Ed has pulled it off. I stand corrected about him being the #2 guy. Well, he always was until now. Still, I'm going to chance inserting foot by saying I think it will be short lived. I do hope I'm wrong, though, in all fairness I still need to listen to them. Smile    I expect one of them will drop rather quickly and "Shape Of You" will only hold the top spot for this week. I don't think we've seen the last of Migos yet, very sadly. Either that or the likes of Drake of will resurface with another 12 entries in one week. Again, I hope to be proven wrong and give him kudos for #1, especially w/o a feature! Given the shape of today's industry and audience, I just don't see it being long-lived. If there's one thing I've taken notice of after years of doing this is that when a song debuts smack at the top, the only way to go is down. That's not to say that one of them won't linger until freaking November given that it's one of the very few songs that actually will fit radio format. They'll get played into the ground as they always do. Cheers~
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:49 am

SO set on the idea of the two records together, it seems weird to see them at #1 and #6. Shape is clearly the song with wider, lasting appeal, whereas Castle in more about Ed's story, so it's astounding how well it has done.

Find out tomorrow whether Migos is headed for the UK heights. Looking at the US Top 40, you can see which music has really got a throttle on the whole thing Shocked Not technically a bad thing, but so many of those songs ought to be so much better. 30 years since "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back", and now they're holding themselves back instead.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:59 am

Even more surprised at how swiftly Ed dropped away in the US Shocked Amusing to see Clean Bandit arriving, though, it's usually the other way around. Bet it won't get 9 weeks at #1 Laughing

In the UK, Migos is either moving very slowly, or it's just not catching. Some other interesting movers, though, like Sage the Gemini.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:13 am

Glad that Ed is back to US #1 Smile (for now). Still bemused at the failure of CotH though, it's not much different to a country song.

He's still rocking it in the UK, though. Thought Jax Jones might get closer, but seems not. I might have expected Train to be too middle-of-the-road to make the top 30, but they've managed it somehow.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:32 am

While I remember, I feel bound to say that Katy Perry's Chained to the Rhythm owes a lot to Sia (IDK if she has written it, or it's just inspiration).
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:52 am

It's obviously been too many weeks without some crazy stuff, so this week Stormzy's dreary album also cropped up with many entries in the singles chart too. Still, Ed Sheeran will probably be doing the exact same thing next week.

Migos into the UK top 10, although B&B thankfully only peaked at #30.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:49 am

misery guts wrote:It's obviously been too many weeks without some crazy stuff, so this week Stormzy's dreary album also cropped up with many entries in the singles chart too. Still, Ed Sheeran will probably be doing the exact same thing next week.

Migos into the UK top 10, although B&B thankfully only peaked at #30.

Looking forward to hearing anything new on the UK side lol. I can honestly say that there is absolutely nothing in our charts that I can even call music. I'm not even feeling. Ed Sheeran I suppose Katy Perry's new single stands out as the closest thing that even remotely sounds like music. Even still, it's quite bland and wouldn't have gone anywhere in an era when music was real. Seems that Ed is front and center due to the fact that he's about the only "current" singer out there that radio stations would even play. I loathe the Chainsuckers. 'Paris' could have been written by a 2nd grader. I still have to listen to Clean Bandit s that's about the only song I'm even interested in hearing for the sake of knowing what it sounds like. While I still enjoy charting the hits, it's like a baaad joke from someone who's been doing this since 1980 (-:
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:38 am

Adric wrote:I suppose Katy Perry's new single stands out as the closest thing that even remotely sounds like music. Even still, it's quite bland and wouldn't have gone anywhere in an era when music was real.
It just struck me as partially like Sia's Cheap Thrills, only not any of the good bits. Given KP's usual style, it seems like a terrible back-step.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:41 pm

Just WOW at the UK chart this week! It all looks so fictional lol. I guess one will need a "double album" or release to break this feat. As usual, The Chainsuckers are in the way again. The lack of variety in the singles charts astonishes me. Nice little unexpected surprise coming in the morning from Clean Bandit on our end.
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:39 am

Ed Sheeran singles chart takeover spurs calls for 'drastic rethink'

Ed Sheeran’s record-breaking success has prompted calls for a “drastic rethink” of the UK singles chart as his bestselling album hit No 1 across the world.

The singer-songwriter’s third album, ÷ (Divide), is the No 1 album in charts in the UK, US, Australia and around Europe after becoming the fastest-selling album by a UK male artist.

But while in the UK all 16 of Divide’s songs dominated the Top 20 singles chart, fuelled by the burgeoning popularity of streaming services like Spotify, there were concerns that the dominance of the singles chart by one artist was destroying its credibility.

Ed Sheeran to guest star in Game of Thrones
Read more
Alison Wenham, chief executive of the independent music body Worldwide Independent Network, said there was no doubt that Sheeran was “wildly, incredibly popular” but that the domination of one album had a “certain chill factor in the charts” that drowned out other artists.

“Having Ed Sheeran dominate virtually the whole of the Top 20 is indicative of the fact it is evolving and the rules will need to be examined fairly regularly in terms of the conversion – how many streams equals a download,” she said.

Recently introduced rules mean that 150 plays of a song on Spotify or other streaming services count as one sale, a system brought in to try and more accurately reflect the public taste as single sales declined. Wenham said the singles chart should be changed so that it “has a degree of value associated with it, people have paid to listen to it”.

Streaming services such as Spotify, Deezer, Napster, O2 Tracks, Apple Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, Rara and Xbox Music – most of which charge subscribers a monthly fee to listen to unlimited music – provide compilers with weekly data. But the chart also counts plays from non-paying listeners.

Industry experts have also suggested increasing the number of streams that currently equates to a single unit. But Martin Talbot, chief executive of the Official Charts Company, said it would not “rush to any kneejerk actions” in light of Sheeran’s success, though it is considering changes to its methodology.

Jon Webster, president of the music managers group MMF, said the singles chart needed as “drastic rethink”. “You should be looking at two different things: what’s happening in streaming, and what’s happening in sales. You can’t mix them. It ends up in two different metrics and that’s the problem,” Webster said.

“When you were a kid and you bought a single, if you played it 500 times over five weeks it was still only one sale. But now we’re having that 500 times over five weeks in the chart. We live in a different world, and we need a different chart for a different world.”

Jeremy Pritchard, the bassist in Manchester indie rock band Everything Everything, said the charts company could introduce new rules about what counts as a single. “Something needs to happen,” he said. “There should be some rules concerning what is and isn’t a single. If we’re still calling it the singles chart, should we be letting in stuff which hasn’t been identified as a single?

Pritchard said the charts were “more meaningful now in terms of a purely populist metric” than ever before due to the waning influence of radio stations. He added: “I think everyone’s only just starting to wake up to the idea that things are slightly skewed since streaming has been introduced to the count.

“It’s indicative of a problem the music industry has been facing for 15 years, which is the old model’s don’t apply to the current culture.”

Mark Mulligan, an analyst at MIDiA Research, said the industry had become caught in “existential angst about streaming” and that the singles chart was no longer fit for purpose.

He said: “Do we want the charts to reflect how popular an artist is? If we do then we do what we’re doing now. Or do we want one which reflects sales and where the revenue is flowing? If it’s that then we need to do something else.”

Sheeran’s album sold 672,000 copies in the UK, 451,000 copies in the US and 97,014 in Australia. It is also at the top of the charts in Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Sweden.
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top