Sam Smith News

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sam Smith News

Post  Adric on Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:57 am

Sam Smith Admits There's One Song on His Debut Album He 'Really Hates'

If you thought Sam Smith was deeply honest on his first album, expect him to take it a step further on his sophomore release.

"It's (expletive) great. It's really deep (stuff) that's coming out — that's all I'll say," a smiling Smith said in a recent interview.

He wouldn't say when his follow-up to 2014's In the Lonely Hour will be released, but said he's pushing himself to explore new territory.

"Every day I'm having little epiphanies and changes and loving it. But all I can say is that I'm putting my heart even more out on the (expletive) line," Smith said. "I'm going even deeper. I can't believe I'm even doing it, but I'm going even deeper."

In the Lonely Hour featured emotional pop songs about love lapses and unrequited love, including song titles like "Leave Your Lover" and "I'm Not the Only One." It reached multiplatinum status in the United States and won four Grammy Awards, including song and record of the year for "Stay With Me."

As he reflects on that album, Smith says he has mixed feelings about his breakthrough project.

"There's a few songs I really (expletive) hate, but then the core of the album, songs like 'Stay With Me,' 'I'm Not the Only One' — actually all the songs except 'Money on My Mind' — I really love and I'm really proud of the classic-ness of the way they sound, because I still listen to them now and I still love them," he said. "The music I'm making at the moment, it's very much a beautiful little transition from there and it fits."

Smith co-wrote his debut album and also won an Academy Award for co-writing "Writing's on the Wall" from the James Bond film Spectre. He says there's a "few moments" on his first album "where I think to myself, 'I would have changed that. I would have done that differently.'"

Smith added that when he began to rise in the United Kingdom as a featured act on Disclosure's dance song "Latch" — originally released in late 2012 — there was some confusion about which musical direction he should take.

"As soon as 'Latch' had a lot of success in (the) U.K., my label and me had a little bit of a panic. We were like, 'Maybe we should be doing dance?' And that's what I can hear on (my first) album — there's two or three songs where I can hear the little wobble, but the rest of the album is what I set out to make from the beginning," he said.

"But I still love my album, but I'm loving my new one (expletive) more."
Adric
Admin

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Graham/546756334

Back to top Go down

Re: Sam Smith News

Post  misery guts on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:11 am

I hope his 2nd album does the business, he's probably one of the coolest guys in the music industry right now.

Was pleased that "Writing's on the Wall" won the Oscar, I thought that it was a pretty good song.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:26 am

Sam Smith: In Concert
At the BBC Radio Theatre, London, at the end of a run of dates. He chatted a little between songs, and promised his 2nd album was his next target. No play of the Bond theme, but otherwise a decent not-quite-an-hour.

Sam Smith - Live @ V Festival 2015
A short burst from his daytime set, and much loved by the crowd. Hopes will be sky high for his 2nd album, when it comes.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:11 am

Pop Profiles: Sam Smith
The short series covered the so-far-short career of the promising singer-songwriter. He featured on dance tracks for Disclosure and Naughty Boy, to great effect, then hit pay-dirt with his debut album, which was a big seller in the USA, and spawned a slew of hit singles, fast and slow. He won awards galore, too, and took the latest James Bond theme to #1. The world awaits his 2nd album eagerly...
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:27 am

Miladdo is back with a new single:

Too Good At Goodbyes

According to the midweeks here, this will unseat Taylor Swift on Friday to give him his 5th solo #1 single Exclamation Shocked
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:02 am

It did, and he has Cool
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down