Music television 2

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Music television 2

Post  misery guts on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:32 am

Charli XCX @ Glastonbury
Disappointingly only 15 minutes shown from her set on the John Peel Stage, even with a post-gig chat added on. Nice to know she has at least had some hits which have earned her attention, but with recent single 'Famous' doing nothing, it seems she's missing something.

Lionel Richie @ Glastonbury
In the sunday afternoon "legends" slot on the Pyramid Stage, he rocked for over an hour, mixing his ballads with his more danceable gems. This duality was typified by following 'Three Times a Lady' with 'Brick House' Shocked The crowd were thrilled with the closing run of Dancing on the Ceiling, Hello and All Night Long, and then he bizarrely ended on 'We Are The World' which I guess no-one was expecting. Still, he did co-write it, I guess. Otherwise, it more than delivered on the hype.

Burt Bacharach @ Glastonbury
Also on the Pyramid Stage, from Saturday evening, the legend talked of having been invited in 2000 and unable to come, and finally making it. He left the singing to three singers on stools who worked through dozens of his works, either in short bursts or long. They finished with That's What Friends Are For and a 2nd run at Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head. Oh well.

Disclosure at Wildlife Festival
From Brighton, the dance act's own festival saw them do a set with vocal help from Gregory Porter, Kwabs, Lion Babe and Sam Smith (except he wasn't there). Only a short glimpse of what was clearly a welcome occasion.

Last edited by misery guts on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Music television 2

Post  misery guts on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:52 am

Dame Kiri and Kate Adie: In Conversation
Short half-hour about the NZ diva legend, from her beginnings in the 1960's, success when she moved to Covent Garden, worldwide fame for singing at the 1981 Royal Wedding, retirement in 2010, and work now on inspiring the newer generations.

Paul Weller @ Glastonbury
One of many on the Pyramid stage on Sunday, he delivered a spirited set for an hour, covering his own solo career (now running into its 25th year) with a few selections from the Jam. But the Style Council might as well not have ever happened. Surely on a balmy summer's evening he could have done "Long Hot Summer" or "You're The Best Thing"? But no. Great stuff otherwise.

Discovering: The Smiths
Rock history was made when Johnny Marr decided to seek out Steven Morrissey. The critics soon loved them, even if the wider media took umbrage at times. They progressed with each album until they burst artistically and went their separate ways, court cases notwithstanding. But their legacy still thrives.

The South Bank Show: Laura Mvula
Amusingly, Mvula is her married name - Douglas being her maiden name. Her siblings are talented too, and she developed her sound through a band called Judyhouse, before getting discovered whilst working for the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra - as a receptionist. She's now working on her 2nd album.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:01 am

Suede @ Glastonbury
Over an hour from the John Peel Stage, as Brett & co belt out the hits and the others. It was certainly an eye-opener to watch with subtitles and finally learn what some of these songs are about Shocked The crowd clearly got what they wanted.

World Stage: Charli XCX
From Helsinki back in September, a short showcase making sure of I Love It and Fancy, and ending with Boom Clap, which seems to have done her as much good as the more boisterous efforts.

Last edited by misery guts on Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:07 am

The Chemical Brothers @ Glastonbury
More of a continuous mix, really, from the Other Stage, but the crowd loved it, from the hits to the rest.

Sommernachtkonzert at Schonbrunn
With the Vienna Philharmonic, conducted by Zubin Mehta. Apparently, it's the 150th anniversaries of both Nielsen and Sibelius, but amongst the mix of material, the two outstanding pieces were both by Grieg, being his Piano Concerto and Suite from Peer Gynt.

Inside King Crimson - A Critical Review 1972-1975
After their breakthrough masterpiece, they did 3 more albums of varying quality, whilst Robert Fripp was lauded as a genius (something I'm hugely sceptical of given his current state). It was Fripp who called it a day, possibly not before time.

Pop Gold
A truly excellent 8-part series compiling footage from bands on assorted ITV music shows, hampered only by a snide voiceover from Andy Kershaw. The breadth of acts was profound, as it should be with decades of stuff to work with. Not sure why the final episode was delayed for so many weeks, though.

Last edited by misery guts on Tue May 10, 2016 7:03 am; edited 3 times in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:42 am

Barry White - The Man and His Music
A lengthy medley of footage, rather than a single gig, I think. Love Unlimited were able to fill in from time to time with their own hits. Otherwise, Barry delivered his big numbers, and other interesting ones I was less familiar with.

YesSongs
From the Rainbow Theatre, in 1972, notable for some extended musical noodling, and a lack of clarity over what songs they were doing. The broadcast was also bedevilled with sound problems towards the end (the audio and video not matching up) and a rather abrupt end.

Last edited by misery guts on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:09 am; edited 2 times in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:03 pm

Live With... Steve Harley
Acoustic and charming stuff, he broke out 'Mr Soft', but it was mainly modern stuff, and good stuff as you'd expect.

The South Bank Show: Joseph Calleja
Malta's premier amabassador and tenor. He unwittingly made comparisons with Pavarotti. He was sporty and moved by the Beatles and Queen, but Caruso turned him on to opera. Now working in London, it turns out he has an English aunt anyway, and can use several languages. Only in his late 30's, he should have a long career ahead of him.

Bob Marley: Freedom Road
A fairly impressive account of his life and music. He was compared to being a Jamaican MLK, and his cancer was an unlucky nemesis that took a few years to develop from its initial source. Two former Jamaican PMs were interviewed here, which is more impressive than is sometimes the case.

Last edited by misery guts on Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:53 pm

Katherine Jenkins OBE - Live at Cadogan Hall, with Special Guests, Collabro
A lengthy concert from earlier this year, where the blonde classical singer takes material from her 10 albums, whilst giving up a good part of the running time to relative newbies and talent show winners Collabro. They come together on a few songs, too. They both mix more obvious old fare with pop stuff, the lads showing how contemporary they can be by having a crack at Let It Go. A pleasant show, anyhow.

The Temptations - Live in Concert
From 1983 at a place called Harrah's in Atlantic City, apparently. The lads bashed through the hits to great crowd joy. I even recognised a few of them (the hits, not the crowd).

Bonzo Dog Doodah Band - I Should Koko!
A short show referencing their gig in April of this year, with Neil Innes, Rodney Slater, and some Bonzo subs, bringing the jazz rock comedy troupe back to life once more.

Last edited by misery guts on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:16 am; edited 2 times in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:57 am

Broadway Idiot
How Green Day's political magnum opus from 2004 ended up becoming a Broadway show in 2010. It was as much about how the band were actually more deserving of respect, because they're more talented musicians than might come across, and Billie-Joe Armstrong writing a concept album elevated their status (and also made a more successful fist of anti-Bush sentiment than R.E.M. ever did).

Andrea Bocelli - Passione: Love in Portofino

Accompanied by David Foster on piano, who helped MC the concert, and before a crowd which included such luminaries as Michael Caine, Paul Anka and Ornella Muti, Bocelli belted out a lengthy mix of material from this 2012 gig, demonstrating fluency in many languages, and finishing with a version of "My Way".

Tinie Tempah's #Hangout
So the UK rap star is back with a forthcoming 3rd album. Hard to believe how long it has been since his breakthrough with Pass Out. He spoke of his many collaborators such as Cheryl not-Cole and Ellie Goulding, not to mention Labrinth.  He also spoke of plans to work with Naughty Boy and possibly even Zayn Malik. So things look busy for him.

Run DMC and friends, at Alcatraz
I suspect this concert cut off before the end. It became notable not so much for the names on the undercard (Dru Hill, Kurtis Blow) as for people whom I assume were one-hit-wonders or just never made it across the pond (Too Short? 3rd Storee? Mack 10? and many more).

Last edited by misery guts on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:42 am

The Rutles - Live at Koko
From Apr 17 this year, from a double bill with the Bonzos (see above), this was mostly backstage chat, with a bit of performance. Neil Innes remains the central Rutle now, but well flanked by other musicians.

Discovering: The Foo Fighters
I'm not a fan, though I don't doubt Dave Grohl is a lovely bloke. That they have done quite so well and lasted so long is testament to the man's work ethic and kudos.

Giuseppe Verdi - Messa Da Requiem
From the Basilica di San Marco in Venice, Lorin Maazel conducted the Symphonica Toscanini in 2007 with great aplomb.

Last edited by misery guts on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:43 am

Selena Gomez: Teen Superstar
The 23 year old from a poor background started young by working with Barney, before appearing on Hannah Montana and Wizards of Waverley Place. Eventually, she grew old enough to launch her own solo career, which hasn't been that bad. She's a pal of Demi Lovato and possibly Miley Cyrus. She's a UNICEF ambassador and works for other charities too. Her recent "Good For You" single suggests the move to maturity might work out well for her, without the childish antics of Miley.

The Eagles: In Performance

Just 3 useful talking heads, but the tale told didn't need any more. How they solidified the sounds of LA, changed their line-up, had a mammoth hiatus, but eventually reformed, and even more eventually knocked out a new album. Their live shows typify their musical proficiency.

Zappa - Does Humour Belong In Music?
On this evidence, I'm not wholly sure. This gig at the Pier, NYC, Aug 26, 1984, featured a wide mix of songs, and their musicality is not in question. But their frequent homophobic slights seem a sad demonstration of American machismo, but I suppose the defence is "we're only joking". Hogwash.

Green Day - Welcome To Paradise: American Idiot
Another re-telling of the American pop-punk's journey and 2004 apotheosis with a concept album conveniently cocking a snook at President Bush. It did make me feel I should listen to the album again, so job done, I guess.

Last edited by misery guts on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:55 am

Julio Iglesias In Jerusalem - At The Sultan's Pool
Entertaining if unusual 1981 gig, mainly in Spanish. Happily, he finished on 'Guantanamera', and the crowd were happy enough anyway.

Access All Areas - Eagles of Death Metal
A backstage interview with Jesse Hughes mainly, though Dave Catching and fan Duff McKagan (!) had a few words too. There was some music too. The story of how they got their name & ethos sums up what seems like quite a fun bunch of guys.

BBC Proms: Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms
It's summer in England, so time for more of these shows. This only ran 1/3 of an hour, so was packaged with...

Last edited by misery guts on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:59 am; edited 4 times in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds @ T in the Park 2015
Noel delivered a lengthy show mixing stuff from his first 2 solo albums, and assorted Oasis numbers. I wouldn't expect any sort of Oasis reunion any time soon, he doesn't need to.

The Prodigy @ T in the Park 2015
A shorter selection than that from Noel, they also seem to have benefitted from the success of their recent album, and have a quarter of a century of material to play with.

Last edited by misery guts on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:50 am; edited 2 times in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:01 am

Friday Night at the Proms '15: Holst's The Planets
The BBC Symphony Orchestra, led by Susanna Malkki, performed the whole 7-piece cycle. The 1st & 4th pieces (Mars & Jupiter) were the stand-out moments, as ever. As an encore, they did a piece called Notations by Pierre Boulez, which was OK.

The Nation's Favourite... 80s Number Ones
A hearty hour & a half with contributions from all sorts of relevant people from Nik Kershaw to Jazzie B. Here was the voted rundown:
20 - Especially For You - Kylie Minogue + Jason Donovan
19 - Into The Groove - Madonna
18 - Back To Life (However Do You Want Me) - Soul II Soul ft Caron Wheeler
17 - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) - Dead Or Alive
16 - Don't Leave Me This Way - The Communards ft Sarah Jane Morris
15 - Stand And Deliver - Adam and the Ants
14 - Two Tribes - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
13 - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go - Wham!
12 - West End Girls - Pet Shop Boys
11 - China In Your Hand - T'Pau
10 - True - Spandau Ballet
09 - Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
08 - House Of Fun - Madness
07 - Don't You Want Me? - The Human League
06 - Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners w/The Emerald Express
05 - I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) - Whitney Houston
04 - Tainted Love - Soft Cell
03 - Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler
02 - Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
01 - Every Breath You Take - The Police
king

Last edited by misery guts on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:14 am

BBC Proms 2015: Elgar's 2nd Symphony
The Manchester Halle Orchestra, conducted by Sir Mark Elder, rattled through the 4 movements of his piece, apparently Elder's own favourite.

Whitney Houston: Her Greatest Hits
A somewhat muddled compilation of videos, though notably omitting most of the ones from The Bodyguard. I used to be fondest of 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody', but nowadays I far prefer 'I'm Your Baby Tonight'.

MTV Crashes Plymouth: Foxes
A short burst of 5 songs from Plymouth Hoe. It's a shame recent single Body Talk tanked.

Concerto at the BBC Proms: Currie Plays Gruber
Colin Currie, that is, with the BBC Philharmonic, conducted by John Storgards, playing Gruber's Into The Open, followed by Stravinsky's Petrushka. Nice enough.

Dancing Through The Blitz: Blackpool's Big Band Story
Another lengthy epic with Len Goodman this time sharing the presenting with Lucy Worsley and Jools Holland, to relate what was really quite a simple tale. Petula Clark was a useful contributor, as it was during this time that she made her first break into fame as a singer.

Meghan Trainor: Story of a Lifetime
A hugely silly title since she's only done 1 album as yet, though her "previous" as a song-writer was one of the few interesting points here. It was another show culled from radio interviews in the UK, Canada, Germany and finally the US. One recurring theme was her plans to get hammered on her 21st birthday - it was that level of insight. Oh, and her love for soca.

Last edited by misery guts on Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:13 am

Cities in the Park: Manchester's Music Festival
Quirky concert from 1991, put on by Tony Wilson, inevitably, and made a tribute to the freshly-dead producer Martin Hannett. There were many acts presented, from Durutti Column to Buzzcocks, Cabaret Voltaire and A Certain Ratio, to the closing Electronic and Happy Mondays. A really entertaining showcase.

Example - Chart Show Chat
UK rapper back with an imminent new album and a kooky new single 'Whisky Story'. He's got an Aussie wife and a new child, too, but prefers London culture to life down under.

Slaves: On Record
An amiable chat with one of my favourite new bands of this year, though they've been around for a few. Laurie and Isaac came across well, with Laurie doing the bulk of the chat. Isaac related his infamous encounter with Bono. The crazy 'Cheer Up London' video was discussed, with their new album, and future plans.

A Blackpool Big Band Boogie
From the Empress Ballroom, the gig from Jools Holland & his Big Band to connect with the other doc reviewed previously. Guest vocals came from Marc Almond, Ruby Turner, Rumer, Louise Marshall and Mabel Ray. A good show.

Last edited by misery guts on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:33 am

Concerto at the Proms '15: Benedetti Plays Korngold
Kirill Karabits conducted the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra as violin whizz Nicola Benedetti played Korngold's Violin Concerto, whilst the BSO followed with a piece from Britten's 'Peter Grimes', which wasn't as good.

Don Broco: On Record
Rising Brit pop-rockers interviewed about their new album 'Automatic', and their early years in the business. That they had a big upcoming gig as headliners at the Brixton Academy judged how much higher they have yet to climb.

Metal Evolution
Sam Dunn's mammoth 11-part series on Metal music, from early days in the US and UK, through its heydays, and splitting into different genres (Glam, Thrash, Grunge, etc). The calibre of interviewees matched the breadth of bands included, and I enjoyed the series a lot.

Europe In Concert: Tindersticks
From Le Trianon, Paris, in 2012, this was a pleasant set which was at least captioned. Not a band I'd otherwise care for, but certainly delivered the goods, even a cover of "If You're Looking For A Way Out."
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:49 am

On The Road
An entertaining hour on Bruce Springsteen from 2012, covering his highs and lows, that infamous "the future of rock n roll" quote, his political efforts, work with the E Street Band, winning Grammys, an Oscar and a Golden Globe, and being in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Fun stuff.

Friday Night at the Proms: Eric Whitacre's Choral Prom
A lengthy mix of Whitacre's own compositions and some by Copland, Newman and Gershwin. Whitacre was the conductor, too, with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. The closing work. 'Deep Field' included audience participation with the help of apps. Futuristic, indeed.

Last edited by misery guts on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:46 am

BBC Proms '15: Mahler's Ninth Symphony
Sir Mark Elder conducted the National Youth Orchestra through its 4 Movements, taking a bit over an hour.

Rock N Roll America
A serious 3-part series coinciding with the 60th anniversary of Rock Around The Clock hitting #1. Both sides of the story were well represented, with Jerry Lee Lewis, Don Everly, Mike Stoller, PF Sloan and Bobby Rush on the prevailing side, with Pat Boone and Bobby Rydell happily defending themselves. Though there was trouble as the 50s gave way to the 60s, the arrival of the Beatles and the following Brit invasion helped cement the success of Rock N Roll after all.

BBC Proms '15: The Bach Recitals
Violin whizz Alina Ibragimova performed 2 Sonatas and a Partita with no accompaniment at all, from memory. Impressive, and melodic.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:50 am

Feats First: The Life & Music of Lowell George
Over 2 hours to relate how an under-rated rock singer-writer tried to make stars of Little Feat, but only managed it with help from Phil Spector. Drugs wiped the smile off the good times, and the guy died at 34.

BBC Proms '15: Sunday Symphonies
Part of the many celebrations of the 150th anniversary of Danish composer Carl Nielsen, this saw the Danish National Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Fabio Luisi, bash out Nielsen's 2nd Symphony, known as The Four Temperaments, with the Helios Overture as an encore. OK enough.

Metallica @ Reading 2015
From their headline spot on Aug 29, they delivered over 2 hours of stuff, much of which I knew for once. The band seemed thrilled to be there, and even delivered a great encore, too.

The Best of Psychedelic Rock
A fun compilation from 1991, covering the gamut from Pink Floyd to Cream to Captain Beefheart. The inclusion of Dr John, Soft Machine and the Steve Miller Band raised the tone from above the predictable.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:59 am

Europe in Concert: Hollie Cook
Live at the Vielles Charues Festival, France, 2002, the daughter of Sex Pistol Paul Cook delivered a steady pleasant set, enlivened by her attempts to get the crowd joining in, and her interaction with her drummer, Horseman.

Last edited by misery guts on Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:06 am

Bonzos 50th Anniversary Special
At the Koko - unlike the previous half-hour tease, this was well over an hour of concert. Oddly, Neil Innes didn't feature until the 2nd half, so I wondered at the arrangement of material. Much great joy, though.

Jennifer Lopez: Let's Get Real
Somewhat ersatz effort mixing a few chats with J Lo cribbed from movie red carpets, and the general narrative of short & silly marriages, and droning waffle about her Latina background. The more this was mentioned, the less honest it seemed. As with other supposed role models inspiring their communities, the ethnicity seems to be a crutch to prop up the career.

Last edited by misery guts on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:57 am

The Jam: About The Young Idea
An all-new major documentary which actually gets Paul Weller talking happily and fondly about his first band success, and Rick & Bruce are also included (Rick's recent book was mentioned). Various fans and associates spoke happily of the 5-year arc of the band's fame. A new exhibition was the main peg to hang this on, too.

Van Morrison - Up On Cyprus Avenue
Legendary Irish soul-rocker giving an open-air concert at the Eastside Arts Festival. Kim Cattrall and Rick Stein could be spotted in the audience. Amusingly, Van broke off near the end to read a poem, mentioning having to plug a book, and how much he hates showbiz Laughing

BBC Proms: The Bach Recitals
Alina Ibragimova completed her cycle of the Partitas and Sonatas, alone and from memory. A great achievement.

The Stereophonics - Live @ V Festival 2015
A short extract, featuring material from their new album, with a couple of oldies to finish. Still odd how their star dipped after they finally had a #1 single.

Last edited by misery guts on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:31 pm

Rockpalast: The Jam
From the Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, November 30, 1980, a lengthy show with 2 encores, mixing hit singles with lesser remembered material. Despite the band's best efforts, about halfway through the crowd start chanting for "Eton Rifles" whenever there's a gap between songs. Once they play it in the 2nd chorus, it doesn't seem to placate them, either.

BBC Proms '15: Sunday Symphony - Premiere
Sir James MacMillan's 4th Symphony received its first performance from the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Donald Runnicles, to whom MacMillan wrote the piece as a 60th birthday present.

Bryan Adams: In Concert
From Toronto this year, the "Groover from Vancouver" apparently has a new album of mainly cover material coming this Autumn. From his efforts at "C'mon Everybody" and "God Only Knows", it looks like being a mixed bag. Otherwise, the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre crowd got quite a good show.

HARDtalk: Paul Gambaccini
Anglophile American DJ has written a book about his year as a (wrongful) suspect in the ongoing criminal investigations (or 'witch-hunt' as Gambo calls it). He's understandably cross with the police and the press, but also the BBC, his employers, who celebrated his 40th anniversary in broadcasting around a month before his arrest, and who offered no solace or friendship during his year on ice.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:37 am

BBC Proms '15: The Bach Recitals
Legendary cellist Yo-Yo Ma performs all 6 Cello Suites in succession (or rather, in 2 sets of 3), encoring with "the Song of the Birds". Noticeably, he needed longer breaks between the final pieces to get the circulation back into his arms. A great performance though.

Creedence Clearwater Revival: The Golden Era
A recent hour+ doc retelling the story that the band were formed by guys born after WW2, and after a couple of name changes, and a war-enforced hiatus, they let John Fogerty take command, and scored some major hits such as "Proud Mary" and "Bad Moon Rising". Though stiffed by the Grateful Dead at Woodstock, they built an impressive reputation for thoughtful, sometimes political, material. But internal dissent led to the slow demise of the band, and even when inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame in 1993, Fogerty refused to share the stage with his former band mates.

Bonzo Dog Band - Jollity Farm
A 2-part concert from 2007, with Phill Jupitus and Ade Edmondson helping out the usual gang on a few numbers (Ade even crowd surfed while dressed as a parrot). The material varied, but I've grown to quite like them.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:59 am

Enrique Iglesias: Latin Hero
How Julio's son made his name beyond simply being Julio's son. He managed to outdo Ricky Martin, and made use of the Latino market. His success grew and he crossed over to the mainstream with 'Bailamos' and a duet with Whitney Houston, before hitting big in 2002 and romancing Anna Kournikova. He continues to win awards and release albums, and hone his sound.

The South Bank Show Originals: Lang Lang
The piano prodigy featured in 2008, with Jamie Cullum happy to pay homage and admire his arising from modest beginnings to world-class success.

Marina and the Diamonds: Live @ V Festival 2015
A short enough show from a daylight slot. She seems to have gone off the radar since her 1st album, but there's no faulting her performance or stagecraft.

MTV Crashes Plymouth: Little Mix
The dull former X Factor winners recently scored another #1 in the UK, which they did here along with other melodic but samey hits.

Last edited by misery guts on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top