Songwriting legend Leonard Cohen has now died, at the age of 82 Sad RIP
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rest In Peace Part 2

Post  Adric on Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:20 pm

Leon Russell, musician known for dynamic performances, dies at 74
Leon Russell, who emerged in the 1970s as one of rock 'n' roll's most dynamic performers and songwriters after playing anonymously on dozens of pop hits as a much-in-demand studio pianist in the 1960s, died on Sunday at age 74.

Russell, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2011, died in his sleep in Nashville, Tennessee, his wife said in a statement on his website.

Russell suffered health problems in his later years, having surgery to stop leaking brain fluid in 2010 and suffering a heart attack in July 2016.

"He was recovering from heart surgery in July and looked forward to getting back on the road in January," said his wife, Jan Bridges.

Russell's period of stardom as a performer was relatively brief, but Elton John, who had once been Russell's opening act, engineered a comeback for him in 2010 when they collaborated on an album titled "The Union."

"He was my biggest influence as a piano player, a singer and a songwriter," John told ABC News.

Russell recorded more than 35 albums and also excelled as a songwriter for other performers. His "A Song for You" was recorded by Joe Cocker, the Carpenters, the Temptations, Neil Diamond, Lou Rawls, Dusty Springfield, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin and good friend Willie Nelson. The Carpenters, Helen Reddy, Shirley Bassey, Robert Goulet and George Benson all covered Russell's "This Masquerade," with Benson's version winning the 1976 Grammy as record of the year.

Russell was known as "the master of space and time" in his 1970s heyday. He wore a cocked top hat, and with salt-and-pepper hair past his shoulders and a beard that reached his chest, created an inscrutable image that was equal parts shaman, tent revival preacher and cosmic ringmaster.

He ruled the stage with piano-banging abandon and, backed by a multi-piece band and a backup chorus, put on a show that was a roiling stew of rock, soul, gospel and country.

Russell's last performance was July 10 in Nashville.
Adric
Admin

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Graham/546756334

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:05 am

I remember him doing an album project with Elton John, and Elton was all like "OMG, this is such an honour to do this etc" and I was like "Leon who? Dude needs a haircut".

But clearly his wider career more than merits his place among the greats. So, RIP Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:04 pm

Holly Dunn, 'Daddy's Hands' Singer, Dies at 59

Country singer Holly Dunn, a San Antonio native who had several hits in the 1980s and '90s, including 1986's "Daddy's Hands," about her minister father, has died. She was 59.

Dunn died on Monday in hospice care in Albuquerque, New Mexico, according to June Keys, the manager at the Pena-Dunn Gallery in Santa Fe, where Dunn's paintings were displayed. Dunn announced earlier this year she was battling ovarian cancer.
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:34 am

Bass legend Victor Bailey, has passed away from complications with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. He was 56 years old.
Bailey was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania into a musical family. His father, Morris Bailey Jr., was a composer, arranger and saxophonist that wrote songs for R&B artists from the ’60s and ’70s including Patti LaBelle, The Stylistics, Blue Magic, The Spinners, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes and Nina Simone. Victor began his musical path on drums at just 10 years old.
RIP Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:01 am

Soul & Funk revivalist Sharon Jones has died after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. She was 60:
Born Sharon Lafaye Jones on May 4, 1956 in Augusta, the This Land Is Your Land crooner was the youngest of six kids.
She started numerous funk groups in the 1970s, earning extra money by performing in wedding bands and singing gospel music.
In 1996, Jones recorded numerous songs as a back-up singer for Desco Records and released Damn It`s Hot her first song as a front woman at the age of 40.
RIP Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:49 am

Inspiral Carpets' drummer, Craig Gill, has died at the age of 44 Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:23 am

Colonel Abrams has died at the age of 67
The musician scored his biggest hit in 1985 with the club single Trapped, which reached number three in the UK.
Last year, it emerged he was living homeless in New York. Friends then launched a fundraising campaign to help him obtain vital diabetes medication.
RIP Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:19 am

Greg Lake: King Crimson and ELP star dies aged 69 Sad RIP

Greg Lake, who fronted both King Crimson and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, has died aged 69.
One of the founding fathers of progressive rock, the British musician is known for songs including In The Court Of The Crimson King and I Believe in Father Christmas.
He died on Wednesday after "a long and stubborn battle with cancer", said his manager.
The news comes nine months after Lake's band-mate Keith Emerson died.

Keyboardist Emerson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, coroners in the US said.
Lake's manager Stewart Young wrote on Facebook: "Yesterday, December 7th, I lost my best friend to a long and stubborn battle with cancer.
"Greg Lake will stay in my heart forever, as he has always been."
Guitarist Steve Hackett led tributes on Twitter, writing: "Music bows its head to acknowledge the passing of a great musician and singer, Greg Lake."
Rick Wakeman, keyboardist in the prog rock band Yes, said: Another sad loss with the passing of Greg Lake....You left some great music with us my friend & so like Keith , you will live on.

(full article in above link)
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:58 am

Sad news, he seemed like a good guy to me. Apart from his regular bands, he is already immortalised as one of the many hit-makers of Christmas. RIP Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:06 pm

George Michael: Pop superstar dies at 53 Really, just no words ...
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:39 am

Peter Sarstedt has died at the age of 75. He is best remembered for his UK #1 "Where Do You Go To, My Lovely?"
He wrote more than a dozen albums in a career that spanned more than 50 years, releasing his last, Restless Heart, in 2013
He died peacefully after a six-year battle with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, a family statement said.
RIP Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:05 am

Larry Steinbachek, the keyboardist with 80s outfit Bronski Beat has died at the age of 56
Steinbachek's sister Louise Jones told BBC News he died last month after a short battle with cancer, with his family and friends at his bedside.
Also, Tommy Allsup, remembered for being the guy who missed the fateful plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper, has now died at the age of 85
The musician famously lost a coin toss for a seat on the plane. His place was taken by teen star Ritchie Valens, who also perished when the plane crashed.
Allsup went on to become a Grammy-winning musician, who played with Merle Haggard, Roy Orbison and Willie Nelson.
He said he thought about the crash, and thanked God, every day of his life.
The musician died on Wednesday at a hospital in Springfield, Missouri, due to complications from a hernia operation, said his son Austin.
RIP to them both Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:19 pm

Maggie Roche of The Roches Sister Vocal Trio Dies at 65

Maggie Roche, the folk-rock singer-songwriter who since the mid-1970s had performed and recorded as a trio and in pairs with her two sisters, has died.

Roche died of cancer, according to a statement posted online Saturday (Jan. 21) by her sister and bandmate Suzzy Roche. She was 65.

Growing up in Park Ridge, New Jersey, eldest sister Maggie formed a duo with middle sister Terre, and while touring, they caught the attention of Paul Simon, who brought them in as backup singers for his hit 1973 album, There Goes Rhymin' Simon.

In 1975, they released an album of their own. Shortly after that, youngest sister Suzzy joined to form The Roches trio. The voices of this threesome blended majestically, with Maggie's rich contralto balanced by Terre's soprano and Suzzy filling in the mid-range.

They played Greenwich Village folk venues and, in 1979, released the well-received The Roches, the first of their dozen albums as a trio, and were booked on Saturday Night Live.

With "We," the first song of that debut album, they charmingly introduced themselves, with acoustic guitar backup, to the listening world:

"We are Maggie and Terre and Suzzy/ Maggie and Terre and Suzzy Roche/ We don't give out our ages, and we don't give out our phone numbers/ Sometimes our voices give out. But not our ages and our phone numbers/ And as a point of interest, we spell our name R-O-C-H-E."

Their final studio album, Moonswept, would be released in 2007. Maggie also recorded albums as a duo with sister Suzzy.

Maggie and her sisters would never be a big draw or huge sellers. But their unique sound and sensibility, plus their endearing quirkiness, was cherished by a devoted following over the decades.

The statement from Suzzy Roche, who, with Terre, survives her, describes their "dear, beautiful sister Maggie" as "a private person, too sensitive and shy for this world, but brimming with life, love and talent -- a brilliant songwriter, with a distinct unique perspective, all heart and soul."
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:29 am

Loalwa Braz, voice of 80s smash hit Lambada, found burned to death in car
Braz rose to fame in the 1980s thanks to her dulcet tones and tropical rhythms. In 1989 she teamed up with French pop group Kaoma to provide the vocals for their hit Lambaba, recording the song in her native Portuguese.
The Lambada music video, which features Brazilian dance duo Chico & Roberta, has 57 million views on YouTube and counting
The song will be played forever though. She was 63. RIP Sad

Also, Thandi Klaasen has died at the age of 86
President Jacob Zuma said the nation had lost a leading pioneer of jazz who promoted a "cosmopolitan culture".
Born to a shoemaker and a domestic worker in racially segregated South Africa, she performed with US stars such as Roberta Flack and Patti LaBelle in a career of more than 50 years.
Klaasen was battling pancreatic cancer at the time of her death.
Also RIP Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:00 am

Jaki Liebezeit, Can drummer dies at 78
Can were revered as pioneers of the Krautrock movement, which blended rock, electronic and world music.
Liebezeit was credited with inventing the band's name, which stood for "communism, anarchism, nihilism".
Throughout several line-up changes he was a constant, playing on all of the band's albums, including Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi and Future Days.
Also, Pete Overend Watts, Mott the Hoople bassist dies at 69
The bassist played on songs including Roll Away The Stone and the group's best known hit All The Young Dudes, written and produced by David Bowie.
He died on Sunday of cancer, said Peter Purnell from record label Angel Air Records.
RIP both Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:17 am

Lee O'Denat, founder of a website called WorldStarHipHop, has died, aged 43
Known simply as “Q” by his friends and followers, the media mogul and father of three passed away unexpectedly from a suspected heart attack
Gotta say this is the first I've heard of him, but RIP all the same Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:20 am

Butch Trucks, Drummer and Founding Member of The Allman Brothers Band, Dies at 69

The Allman Brothers Band co-founder Butch Trucks has passed away at the age of 69.

No cause of death has yet been revealed for Trucks, who played drums alongside Jai "Jaimoe" Johnny Johanson throughout the Allmans' 46-year on-and-off history. He died Tuesday evening (Jan. 24) in West Palm Beach, Fla.

Trucks told Billboard last year that he "was a good drummer and didn't know it" when the late Duane Allman approached him to be in the band, crediting Allman with bringing him out of his shell and into rock 'n' roll stardom.

"I was about to head back to school and get a degree in math and teach...when Duane knocked on my door with Jaimoe, and then the Allman Brothers happened," Trucks recalled. "Duane decided he wanted two drummers -- he told Jaimoe, 'If James Brown can have two drummers, so can I!' -- and Jaimoe kept telling me, 'Butch is your guy. Butch is the guy!'"

He continued, "We had all these jams, and I think Duane decided that he was gonna find out what I was made of...It's like he reached inside of me and flipped a switch and this light went off in me and said, 'Dammit, you're a good drummer!' Once I started doing that Duane said, 'OK, he's got it in him' and he added me to the mix and changed my life forever."
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Tom Edwards, guitarist and musical director in Adam Ant's current band, has died suddenly, aged just 41 Sad
Online media sources have reported that he was found unresponsive on Wednesday while out on tour with Adam Ant, with a post on the band’s Facebook page confirming that he died at Kennedy Hospital in Cherry Hill, New Jersey that afternoon.
Paying tribute, a statement from the band said: “On behalf of Adam and his band, we thank all of you for your best wishes and support during this most difficult time, Tom shared his musical gifts with the world and his spirit will live on forever.”
RIP
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Geoff Nicholls, Black Sabbath Keyboardist, Dead at 68

Geoff Nicholls, Black Sabbath's longtime keyboardist who performed with the heavy metal legends for 25 years, died Saturday following a battle with lung cancer. He was 68.
"I'm so saddened to hear the loss of one of my dearest and closest friends Geoff Nicholls," Tony Iommi wrote on Facebook Saturday. "Geoff and I have always been very close and he has been a real true friend to me and supported me all the way for nearly 40 years. I will miss him dearly and he will live in my heart until we meet again. Rest in peace my dear friend."
Quartz, Nicholls' previous band before he joined Black Sabbath in 1979, also confirmed Nicholls' death on Facebook. "Everyone in the band, and associated with the band, are struggling to find the words to express their feelings and sadness regarding the passing of their dear friend Geoff Nicholls earlier this morning at home," Quartz wrote.
"Geoff had been unwell for a long time battling cancer and had under gone extensive radio and chemotherapy plus other trial treatment but all sadly to no avail in the end. In this darkest and lowest moment of time Geoff's lyrics and music speak volumes to us and for us and through these his memory will live on forever."
Following a five-year stint with Quartz – whose self-titled debut was produced by Iommi – Nicholls, along with vocalist Ronnie James Dio, were recruited to join Black Sabbath following Ozzy Osbourne's firing in 1979.
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:18 am

CARL PALMER STATEMENT ON THE PASSING OF JOHN WETTON
"With the passing of my good friend and musical collaborator, John Wetton, the world loses yet another musical giant. John was a gentle person who created some of the most lasting melodies and lyrics in modern popular music. As a musician, he was both brave and innovative, with a voice that took the music of ASIA to the top of the charts around the world. His ability to triumph over alcohol abuse made him an inspiration to many who have also fought that battle. For those of us who knew him and worked with him, his valiant struggle against cancer was a further inspiration. I will miss his talent, his sense of humor and his infectious smile. May you ride easy, my old friend.
Carl Palmer."
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:38 am

"Do You Wanna Dance" singer Bobby Freeman dies at 76

(February 1, 2017) We are sad to inform SoulTrackers of the death of 1950s recording star, Robert Thomas "Bobby" Freeman. Freeman died at his home in Austin, Texas. He was 76. An accomplished singer, songwriter and record producer, Freeman was best known for his two Top Ten hits, 1958’s "Do You Want to Dance" 1964’s "C'mon and Swim."
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:40 am

Radio disc jockey Desmond Carrington has died at the age of 90, having been suffering with cancer and Alzheimer's for a while. He only stopped his weekly radio show late last year.
As well as being a radio host, Carrington appeared in stage shows, TV plays and in several short films, including a short entitled Calamity The Cow alongside a then-teenage Phil Collins before he joined Genesis.
In the 1960s, Carrington enjoyed TV success as Doctor Anderson in medical soap opera Emergency – Ward 10.
His TV fame saw him appear in adverts, in quiz shows and other entertainment programmes, although he often returned to the stage.
It was his Music Goes Round record show – previously known as All Time Greats – that made him a long-lasting hit and a household name, as he entertained his listeners with his extensive collection of music with tracks spanning every genre.
I listened many times when he was on Sunday afternoons, and he was always a joy to listen to, soft-spoken but sincere. RIP Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:48 am

David Axelrod, Influential composer and producer sampled by Dr Dre and DJ Shadow dies aged 83
Born in Los Angeles in 1933, he produced his first album in '59 and went on to work in production and A&R at Capitol Records in the 1960s, producing several of his own records.
He was praised for his innovative fusion of elements of jazz, rock and R&B, and for encouraging Capitol to develop their black artists.
Must be good if his samplers are paying homage. RIP Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:18 pm

Jazz Legend Al Jarreau Dead at 76

Just days after announcing that he was retiring from touring after being hospitalized for exhaustion, legendary jazz singer Al Jarreau passed away Sunday morning in Los Angeles.
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top