Blurred Law Suits and such ... Getting N2 TrouBle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Blurred Law Suits and such ... Getting N2 TrouBle

Post  Adric on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:57 am

Oh, we could delve back to Rick James, Boy George, and the copycats as Robin Thicke. What are your thoughts on this one? Hey, Marvin Gaye kicked Thicke's ass from the grave! How will this end and do you agree?

Justin Bieber Lawsuit: Canadian Pop Star and Usher Face $10 Million Copyright Infringement

The lawsuit involving Justin Bieber revived on Thursday by the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond states that he and Usher is likely to face the jury for copyright infringement for copying parts of the song created by Virginian songwriters. The lawsuit filed in May 2013 worth $10 million says that Bieber and Usher copied parts of the song of Devin Copeland and his songwriting partner Mareio Overton.

In the lawsuit, the 21-year-old Canadian crooner and the 36-year-old rapper was alleged to have copied the title of the song 'Somebody to Love,' as well as its lyrics, beat pattern, time signature, and chords. Copeland, an R&B singer popularly known as De Rico, and his partner Overton filed the charges two years back, but it was discharged by a judge in Norfolk last year for differences in lyrics and tone, the Daily Mail reports.

"After listening to the Copeland song and the Bieber and Usher songs as wholes, we conclude that their choruses are similar enough and also significant enough that a reasonable jury could find the songs intrinsically similar," Circuit Judge Pamela Harris wrote in a statement. The decision was made after garnering a 3-0 vote.

The defendants accuse the Canadian pop star and Usher of copying their song tone and melodies with striking resemblances.  Aside from the two, Sony/ATV Music Publishing and the Universal Music Publishing Group were also mentioned in the lawsuit.

'Somebody to Love' was featured in Bieber's 'My World 2.0' album. It hit Billboard Hot 100 chart on number 15 spot and became smashed hits in countries including Germany, Canada, Japan, and New Zealand. Aside from Bieber, Usher had also recorded a remix version of the song and had also used the same in coming up with another adaptation, where he was featured as the lead vocals and Bieber as the guest artist.

While the lawsuit is intended to be heard in the lower court, De Rico and his partner Overton stated that they had reached the camp of Bieber and Usher to inform them of their violations, according to CBS News.

Justin Bieber - Somebody To Love Remix ft. Usher

Justin Bieber, Usher Sued Over Hit Song 'Somebody to Love'
Adric
Admin

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Graham/546756334

Back to top Go down

Re: Blurred Law Suits and such ... Getting N2 TrouBle

Post  misery guts on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:02 am

Can't stand either Usher or Bieber, so I might not be too impartial on this one. The rows about sampling have been going for 35-40 years now, and it rarely ends well. I think if a composer has created a good tune (see James Brown or Chic) then it's a bit feeble that someone else comes along with a rap or a remix or something and wants to clean up the money.

That said, the Jason Nevins remix of It's Like That turned a song I had never heard of into a huge hit, and Run DMC bitching that he contributed nothing is a bit feeble.

I'm still waiting for Mark Ronson to be sued by Prince et al Evil or Very Mad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:14 am

misery guts wrote:Can't stand either Usher or Bieber, so I might not be too impartial on this one. The rows about sampling have been going for 35-40 years now, and it rarely ends well. I think if a composer has created a good tune (see James Brown or Chic) then it's a bit feeble that someone else comes along with a rap or a remix or something and wants to clean up the money.

That said, the Jason Nevins remix of It's Like That turned a song I had never heard of into a huge hit, and Run DMC bitching that he contributed nothing is a bit feeble.

I'm still waiting for Mark Ronson to be sued by Prince et al Evil or Very Mad

omg ... i lOVE tHE wAY u think! gOT more ........ sooon
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:13 am

Well, well,

'Uptown Funk!'s Writing Credits Changed To Include The Gap Band
There is at least a surface similarity between the two funk-influenced songs, so one can’t help but wonder if this one of the first effects we’re seeing of the post-‘Blurred Lines’ court case, persuading artists to pre-emptively include credits because of the threat of lawsuits.

In March, Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams were ordered to pay $7.4 million to the family of Marvin Gaye after a court ruled that ‘Blurred Lines’ copied the sound of the R&B icon’s 1977 hit ‘Got To Give It Up’.

Also, Sam Smith agreed to pay American rocker Tom Petty songwriting royalties for his hit ‘Stay With Me’ after it was argued that there were similarities between that song and Petty’s ‘I Won’t Back Down’.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:40 pm

Oh, I'm glad you obtained that info. Very Happy   I saw this a few days ago in an article then lost it before I could grasp what I was reading. This might become trendy ha. I could name dozens of songs that steals from other classics. In all fairness, I think Robin Thicke, most of all, is getting some karma he deserves. I said it when Blurred Lines was first released, Thicke's gigolo persona is going to be the ruination of him. Don't get me wrong, I admit to liking the song. I also like Uptown Funk, though think they're highly over-rated. Well maybe not, given today's sad music industry. Can't put my finger on it, but Thicke just makes my skin crawl. When I see his pic or a video, I just cringe looking at him. It's like he thinks he's a walking sex machine and flaunts something he doesn't have. Maybe he's a swell guy and I have him all wrong, dunno, don't care. Karma's a bitch really.
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:02 pm

Uptown Funk faces another claim
Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars have been accused of plagiarism.

The pair have come under fire from Serbian singer Viktorija - whose real name is Snezana Miskovic - who claims their chart-topping collaboration 'Uptown Funk' is a rip off of her 1984 single 'Ulice Mracne Nisu Za Devojke', which translates as 'Dark Streets Are Not For Girls'.

She said: "Their song 'Uptown Funk' contains 80 per cent of my tracks. How much of it are you allowed to take as inspiration for your song?"

Despite claiming the song is "80 per cent" hers, the 56-year-old star insisted she has not yet decided whether to sue them and instead just wants to have her contribution appreciated.
Being Serbian and defending a song that 98% of people will have never heard of before suggests this one won't be as successful as the Gap Band.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:26 am

Surprised Well, here we go again. This one in particular seems like an attempted money-grab.

Ed Sheeran sued over claims he's ripped off a Marvin Gaye song

The family of the man who co-wrote Let's Get It On says it copies key parts of the track.
Ed Townsend's relatives are asking for a jury to decide if they're owed damages.
"The Defendants copied the heart of Let's and repeated it continuously throughout Thinking," the court papers claim.

"The melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic compositions of Thinking are substantially and/or strikingly similar to the drum composition of Let's," it says. There's been no response yet from Ed Sheeran or his record label.
The lawyer representing the Marvin Gaye estate told Newsbeat they were "aware" of comparisons with the 1973 hit.
Ed's already being sued for $20m (£13.8m) over his single Photograph, which two US musicians say copies their song Amazing.
The Gaye's lawyer, Richard Busch, is also representing Halo Songs who've launched that case.

Thinking Out Loud won best pop solo performance at this year's Grammy awards and was a multi-platinum hit globally.
It was also Ed's highest charting song in North America, reaching number one on the Official Singles Chart in the UK and it was the first song to spend a full year in the UK's top 40.
It was also the first ever song to hit 500 million streams on Spotify.
The song is currently listed as being written by Ed Sheeran and Amy Wadge, part of Atlantic Records and published by Sony/ATV.
If both Ed's team, label and publishing companies don't come to an amicable agreement, the case could go to court.
People have noticed the similarities of the two tracks in the past.
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:10 am

Yeah, I read about this too. I'm not enough of a musicologist where Marvin Gaye is concerned, although again you wonder why it seems to take them so long to bring their case, if it's such a dead cert.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:51 pm

Mark Ronson, Bruno Mars Sued by Funk Band Collage Over 'Uptown Funk'

“Uptown Funk” collaborators Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars are being sued for alleged copyright infringement, according to TMZ. Collage, a funk band that released music in the early 1980s, filed the complaint.

The group claims “Uptown Funk” and its own 1983 song “Young Girls” are “almost indistinguishable” and states that Ronson and Mars have previously mentioned being influenced by early ‘80s Minneapolis electro-funk and soul music.

The complaint, obtained by Pitchfork, specifies the following: “Upon information and belief, many of the main instrumental attributes and themes of ‘Uptown Funk’ are deliberately and clearly copied from ‘Young Girls,’ including, but not limited to, the distinct funky specifically noted and timed consistent guitar riffs present throughout the compositions, virtually if not identical bass notes and sequence, rhythm, structure, crescendo of horns and synthesizers rendering the compositions almost indistinguishable if played over each other and strikingly similar if played in consecutively.”

Billboard has reached out to RCA, the record label that released "Uptown Funk," for comment.

(Both songs / videos are in article)
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed May 03, 2017 8:18 am

They're no longer a functioning band, but that wouldn't stop the Eagles:

You can check out any time you like, and you can sue their asses off too
In a complaint filed late Monday, the Eagles said owners of the 11-room Todos Santos hotel in Baja California Sur "actively encourage" guests to believe the hotel is associated with the band, in order to sell t-shirts and other merchandise, and make guests feel welcome.
This allegedly included piping "Hotel California" and other Eagles songs through the hotel sound system, and selling t-shirts in that refer to the hotel as "legendary," resulting in apparent confusion among many guests who posted online reviews.
Dear oh dear Rolling Eyes
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:24 am

Dreary N-Dubz rapper Dappy has had a mixed result from his latest court appearance:

Dappy walks free from court after knife charge
The 30-year-old reality television personality, whose real name is Costadinos Contostavlos, admitted carrying a kitchen knife during the confrontation with partner Imani Campbell outside their home in Hatfield, Hertfordshire, on May 10. Contostavlos, who has an 18-month-old daughter with Miss Campbell, admitted carrying the knife and pointing it at neighbours before returning inside the home.
Dear oh dear Rolling Eyes
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top