How Country Popped Its Way Into the Mainstream

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: How Country Popped Its Way Into the Mainstream

Post  misery guts on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:30 am

Focus On... Travis Tritt
Another star I've never heard of, though his congs were alright. He was born in February 1963 in Georgia, self-taught the guitar at age 8, signed to Warner Bros in 1987 and was part of a boom spell in country with the likes of Garth Brooks and Vince Gill. With his long hair and rocker image, he seemed not to fit in the stereotype. He's on his 3rd marriage, and it's lasted much longer than his first 2.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:16 am

Focus On... Dolly Parton
She's 71, born the 4th of 12 in a dirt-poor part of Tennessee and so on. Hard to know what could come from this that was remarkable for being unfamiliar. Dollywood got its mentions, her friendship with Kenny Rogers is apparently stronger than ever, and her Glastonbury turn got its due, as well as her friendship to Billy Ray Cyrus, the identity of the real Jolene, and so on. Still, the music is outstanding.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:00 am

Focus On... Hunter Hayes
Another unknown quantity, who'll be 26 on Saturday. He's a talented multi-instrumentalist, born in Louisiana and was in music from a very young age, duetting with Hank Williams Jr on the accordion. He adopted a greyhound, but his songs were steady enough.

Focus On... Charley Pryde
At the other end of the scale, he's 83, 1 of 11 kids, his first love was baseball but injury pushed him to his back-up of singing, which was the world's gain. He preferred country to the blues. He recovered from a tumour on his vocal chords in 1997. For all his success in combating the stigma of racism, I don't know many other black country acts.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:42 am

Southern Halo - In Concert
From Jumping Jacks, Newcastle, on Mar 22, 2017, a trio of sisters from Cleveland, Mississippi did a short set culled from their debut album, and with a couple of covers like Sweet Child O' Mine. After the gig, they chatted to Stuart Cameron, whose company were credited with producing the show, and who seemed to be responsible for the gig happening and being filmed. Still, they have the depth and talent to make it, with luck.

Focus On... Kacey Musgraves
Another young 'in, Kacey being just 29. But she started young and learned guitar in her teens. She's won a few awards, and has some good stagecraft, and songs too.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:59 am

Another country legend, Don Williams, has died Sad
Williams began his solo career in 1971, amassing 17 number one country hits.
His songs, such as Gypsy Woman and Tulsa Time, were covered by many other singers - including Eric Clapton and Pete Townshend. Williams was known as the gentle giant of country music.
Other hits included You're My Best Friend, I Believe in You and Lord, I Hope This Day Is Good.
RIP
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:53 am

Focus On... Chris Young
Born in June 1985 in Tennessee, won 'Nashville Star' in 2006, signed to RCA and the rest was history. His grandfather has been a musician in Louisiana, but Chris paid his dues in learning his craft. Suffered with illnesses like septic shock, and cutting tendons in one of his hands. Supports many charities, prays before shows and wears a bandana round his wrist to remember his friends. The songs were OK.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:16 am

Focus On... Florida Georgia Line
Phil & Sophie looking at a fairly fresh duo, Brian & Tyler, who apparently originate from the two States in question, and who nearly called themselves Orange Peach as a result until more sense was had. I didn't really warm to their story, though the music was serviceable enough. They met in a worship session as university, as you do.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:15 am

Focus On... Sheryl Crow
Thankfully someone I am familiar with, although they admit that she's not particularly a Country act. But she has sung with country acts, and has had her share of heart-aches if that's any qualification. It was more interesting to hear less familiar numbers, because I'm absolutely bloody sick of "All I Wanna Do".
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:11 am

Focus On... Luke Bryan
Born a year before me, albeit the son of a peanut farmer from rural Georgia, lost both his brother and sister along the way, had a long term friend in Travis Tritt, believes in blending genres and listens to hip-hop to prove it, happily married with 2 sons and a dog, has roots at Panama City. His songs were okay, I guess.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:26 am

Focus On... Josh Turner
He turns 40 next month apparently, started off in gospel, studied in Nashville, has had 3 #1 LPs and 5 #1 singles (in the country charts, I suspect). He's a devout Christian, been married to the same woman since 2003. She's musical too and tours with him. His songs sounded reasonable enough.

Focus On... LeAnn Rimes
She started at a very young age, and was cutting albums & touring before her teens. Won 2 Grammys, released many singles and albums, good worldwide sales. Has a wide vocal range and won a talent show in 1991. They did some of her bigger hits, but no Life Goes On. Still, only an hour show.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:01 am

Focus On... Rascal Flatts
A trio formed in Columbus, Ohio, in 1999, had 25 singles (of which 14 went to #1, presumably in the Country chart), support children's charities, borrowed their name from a garage band, had a video banned because of a brief glimpse of nudity, and this show managed not to play the only hit of theirs I know, What Hurts The Most. Ah well.

Focus On... Billy Currington
At least I'd heard of the above. This guy was born in November 1973 in Georgia and has 4 sisters. He was rejected at an audition for Opryland, had several jobs before he finally got to record a demo in Nashville and signed to Mercury in 2003. He's had run-ins with the law, and his step-father had alcoholism issues. He supports a charity working to help people in Central America. He's a keen surfer in his spare time.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 am

Focus On... Jason Aldean
He was the guy whose concert was concurrent with the recent tragic mass shooting in Las Vegas. He turned 40 back in February. His father supported his musical journey, and he formed a band at University. Has been twice married, his 2nd wife being an American Idol contestant or something. He owns a 1300 acre ranch near Nashville, and co-owns a hunting company along with other acts like Luke Bryan. He also does duets with surprising people, like Ludacris.

Focus On... Terri Clark
She'll be 50 next August. Born and raised in Canada, had musical grand-parents, but moved to Nashville after graduating. She chanced to meet a record producer whilst waitressing, and was signed to Mercury in 1994. She was influenced by Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:27 am

Mel Tillis, Floridian country singer-songwriter, and father of Pam, has died at the age of 85. He'd been unwell since early in 2016. RIP Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:46 am

Ellen - Blake Shelton
People magazine have voted him Sexiest Man Alive, for which Ellen mocked his "gym socks". He enjoys his friendly rivalry with Adam on The Voice, especially as his album debuted above Maroon 5's. He's going to be touring "Country Music Freaks" with Brett Eldredge, Trace Atkin and Carly Pearce.

Ellen - Garth Brooks
Voted Entertainer of the Year for the 6th time. Has some kind of anthology series out, or rather the 1st in a series of 5. Had to lip-synch at the CMAs because it fell in the middle of a run of 12 tour dates in 10 days. He tours with his wife. He sings "Ask Me How I Know" at the end of the show.

Focus On... Eric Church
He turned 40 back in May, born in North Carolina, has a degree in marketing, and advocates use of cannabis, with several songs about it, eg Smoke A Little Smoke. He married a music publisher in early 2008 and they have 2 sons. Set up his own charity in 2013 which has a global reach.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:45 am

My Life - It's A Long Story, by Willie Nelson (with David Ritz)
Chanced upon this a few months back. It's a well-written account that covers his highs and lows, his slow progress with music, his troubles with money, his marriages and children, his support for cannabis, his friendships in the business, and so on. A fine account.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:05 am

Focus On... Sarah Darling
Born in 1982 in Iowa, first found fame on a talent show, did her first LP in 2009, has a British husband, opened for Carrie Underwood and Kacey Musgraves, played the Grand Ole Opry in 2011, and has many songs.

DCX - MMXVI - Dixie Chicks
A gig from LA in 2016, with a bit of chatter to the audience about her dislike for Florida. They did a cover of Nothing Compares 2 U by way of tribute to Prince. I found myself getting ratty with them, a sense that they felt entitled to more respect.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:03 am

Focus On... Sam Hunt
Me neither. He was born in December 1984 in Georgia. He had an athletic background, but failed a tryout, so moved to Nashville, and got signed in 2014. He's written songs for Reba McEntire, Kenny Chesney and Keith Urban. He got married last year after a 9 year relationship.

Lady Antebellum - On This Winter's Night
A Christmas collection gig from 2012, at the Schermerhorn Sympthony Centre, Nashville, with chit-chat about Christmas traditions, and choosing some less familiar songs than others. They got the crowd joining in with closer Silent Night.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:20 am

Focus On... Dan & Shay
They're an American duo, supposedly massive in the UK, from Pennsylvania and Arkansas respectively, and they met in Nashville. They've supported Blake Shelton and Hunter Hayes, they have tattoos of XIX and there are 2 others in the band.

Focus On... Sara Evans
She was born in Missouri, in 1971, the eldest of 7. She fractured both legs at the age of 8, but recovered, and sang in nightclubs from 16. She moved to Nashville in 1991, then Oregon to get married, then back to Nashville. She's a trad country fan. She was on RCA for a long time, but now has her own label. She has 3 children, been divorced and remarried and now lives in Alabama.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:17 am

Hebridean Celtic Festival: Darrell Scott + Danny Thompson
A coming together of a double bass player and a country singer-songwriter, in this short set from the Island Stage in 2013.

Heartworn Highways
A long old effort from 1976, looking at "outlaw country", folks like Townes van Zandt, David Allan Coe, Guy Clark and the Charlie Daniels Band. There were personal vignettes of the stars in various locales, and often a song from each of them, from Waiting Around to Die, to Black Label Blues, to LA Freeway. A quirky piece of nostalgia.

Heartworn Highways Revisited
A follow-up show from 2017, with the crop of today's outlaw country types, some of whom spoke fondly of the above generation, and even one or two survivors from the original show (Guy Clark and Steve Young died after appearing here). Many great acts and great songs to boot.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:51 am

Focus On... Lee Ann Womack
Born in August 1966 in Jacksonville, the child of a DJ and a high school principal, went to University in Nashville but left before graduating to raise her kids. She gigged a lot and got signed. She married, divorced and remarried, having 2 daughters along the way. She took a break from touring between 2004-14, but still put out records. Her biggest success was the song I Hope You Dance.

When Patsy Cline Was Crazy
A jovial effort with dozens of contributors from Reba McEntire and LeAnn Rimes, to her 2nd husband Charlie Dick and daughter Julie Fudge. She was born in 1932 and learnt music along the way, but signed to a terrible record deal as she made her name. She helped form the new Nashville Sound which countered the rise of Rock & Roll. She got a better manager, better record contract, and wowed the Grand Ole Opry, even if she wouldn't always dress like they wanted her to. Sadly, despite recovering from a car crash, she met her death in a plane crash in the Spring of 1963, an event never given the equivalence that Buddy Holly gets.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:11 am

Trouble for Tim McGraw now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43371141
Country star Tim McGraw collapsed on stage during a performance in Dublin on Sunday night.
The singer had just performed his hit single Humble and Kind when he sat down near his keyboard player, then slumped to his knees as he walked off stage.
McGraw's wife, singer Faith Hill, later came out to tell the audience he could not continue with the performance.
"He's been super dehydrated," she said. "I apologise, but I made the decision that he cannot come back out on stage."
Oh dear. Get well soon.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:28 am

John ac Alun
A Welsh country duo, with a long track record, this being a short show from 1997. I might have given up on the lack of subtitles had I not realised the closing number was almost certainly Achy Breaky Heart.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:10 am

John ac Alun
From 1998 this time, and with subtitles, mercifully. Their guest was Gwenda Owen, and they actually introduced some of the tracks, so that was nice.

Focus On... Merle Haggard
The mercurial legend who did his bird, and took his place among the greats whilst picking up impressions of many of them. He got pardoned by Ronald Reagan, he got many accolades and awards, and part of several Halls of Fame. Many fresh and interesting songs shown.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:36 am

The South Bank Show Originals: Willie Nelson
Bragg met him in 2003, and his sister Bobbie was one of those interviewed, along with Jean from the WN Museum. He found life better beyond Nashville. Their show finished with Bragg thanking Willie even though he admitted the guy hadn't told him anything new, for which they shared laughter Razz

John ac Alun
Still in 1998, this time with guests called Celt. It's amusing to try and guess what the titles might be, when the answer usually turns out to be miles away.

Live from Abbey Road Classics: LeAnn Rimes
She featured in June 2006, getting through 4 songs including a cover of Yesterday. Also included was Lyle Lovett, from March 2009.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:00 am

John ac Alun
Still in 1998, with special guests Broc Mor, brothers from Anglesey.

Sad news for Kenny Rogers, having to curtail his farewell tour for health reasons Shocked
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next