How Country Popped Its Way Into the Mainstream

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: How Country Popped Its Way Into the Mainstream

Post  misery guts on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:30 am

Focus On... Travis Tritt
Another star I've never heard of, though his congs were alright. He was born in February 1963 in Georgia, self-taught the guitar at age 8, signed to Warner Bros in 1987 and was part of a boom spell in country with the likes of Garth Brooks and Vince Gill. With his long hair and rocker image, he seemed not to fit in the stereotype. He's on his 3rd marriage, and it's lasted much longer than his first 2.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:16 am

Focus On... Dolly Parton
She's 71, born the 4th of 12 in a dirt-poor part of Tennessee and so on. Hard to know what could come from this that was remarkable for being unfamiliar. Dollywood got its mentions, her friendship with Kenny Rogers is apparently stronger than ever, and her Glastonbury turn got its due, as well as her friendship to Billy Ray Cyrus, the identity of the real Jolene, and so on. Still, the music is outstanding.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:00 am

Focus On... Hunter Hayes
Another unknown quantity, who'll be 26 on Saturday. He's a talented multi-instrumentalist, born in Louisiana and was in music from a very young age, duetting with Hank Williams Jr on the accordion. He adopted a greyhound, but his songs were steady enough.

Focus On... Charley Pryde
At the other end of the scale, he's 83, 1 of 11 kids, his first love was baseball but injury pushed him to his back-up of singing, which was the world's gain. He preferred country to the blues. He recovered from a tumour on his vocal chords in 1997. For all his success in combating the stigma of racism, I don't know many other black country acts.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:42 am

Southern Halo - In Concert
From Jumping Jacks, Newcastle, on Mar 22, 2017, a trio of sisters from Cleveland, Mississippi did a short set culled from their debut album, and with a couple of covers like Sweet Child O' Mine. After the gig, they chatted to Stuart Cameron, whose company were credited with producing the show, and who seemed to be responsible for the gig happening and being filmed. Still, they have the depth and talent to make it, with luck.

Focus On... Kacey Musgraves
Another young 'in, Kacey being just 29. But she started young and learned guitar in her teens. She's won a few awards, and has some good stagecraft, and songs too.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:59 am

Another country legend, Don Williams, has died Sad
Williams began his solo career in 1971, amassing 17 number one country hits.
His songs, such as Gypsy Woman and Tulsa Time, were covered by many other singers - including Eric Clapton and Pete Townshend. Williams was known as the gentle giant of country music.
Other hits included You're My Best Friend, I Believe in You and Lord, I Hope This Day Is Good.
RIP
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:53 am

Focus On... Chris Young
Born in June 1985 in Tennessee, won 'Nashville Star' in 2006, signed to RCA and the rest was history. His grandfather has been a musician in Louisiana, but Chris paid his dues in learning his craft. Suffered with illnesses like septic shock, and cutting tendons in one of his hands. Supports many charities, prays before shows and wears a bandana round his wrist to remember his friends. The songs were OK.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:16 am

Focus On... Florida Georgia Line
Phil & Sophie looking at a fairly fresh duo, Brian & Tyler, who apparently originate from the two States in question, and who nearly called themselves Orange Peach as a result until more sense was had. I didn't really warm to their story, though the music was serviceable enough. They met in a worship session as university, as you do.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:15 am

Focus On... Sheryl Crow
Thankfully someone I am familiar with, although they admit that she's not particularly a Country act. But she has sung with country acts, and has had her share of heart-aches if that's any qualification. It was more interesting to hear less familiar numbers, because I'm absolutely bloody sick of "All I Wanna Do".
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:11 am

Focus On... Luke Bryan
Born a year before me, albeit the son of a peanut farmer from rural Georgia, lost both his brother and sister along the way, had a long term friend in Travis Tritt, believes in blending genres and listens to hip-hop to prove it, happily married with 2 sons and a dog, has roots at Panama City. His songs were okay, I guess.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:26 am

Focus On... Josh Turner
He turns 40 next month apparently, started off in gospel, studied in Nashville, has had 3 #1 LPs and 5 #1 singles (in the country charts, I suspect). He's a devout Christian, been married to the same woman since 2003. She's musical too and tours with him. His songs sounded reasonable enough.

Focus On... LeAnn Rimes
She started at a very young age, and was cutting albums & touring before her teens. Won 2 Grammys, released many singles and albums, good worldwide sales. Has a wide vocal range and won a talent show in 1991. They did some of her bigger hits, but no Life Goes On. Still, only an hour show.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:01 am

Focus On... Rascal Flatts
A trio formed in Columbus, Ohio, in 1999, had 25 singles (of which 14 went to #1, presumably in the Country chart), support children's charities, borrowed their name from a garage band, had a video banned because of a brief glimpse of nudity, and this show managed not to play the only hit of theirs I know, What Hurts The Most. Ah well.

Focus On... Billy Currington
At least I'd heard of the above. This guy was born in November 1973 in Georgia and has 4 sisters. He was rejected at an audition for Opryland, had several jobs before he finally got to record a demo in Nashville and signed to Mercury in 2003. He's had run-ins with the law, and his step-father had alcoholism issues. He supports a charity working to help people in Central America. He's a keen surfer in his spare time.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 am

Focus On... Jason Aldean
He was the guy whose concert was concurrent with the recent tragic mass shooting in Las Vegas. He turned 40 back in February. His father supported his musical journey, and he formed a band at University. Has been twice married, his 2nd wife being an American Idol contestant or something. He owns a 1300 acre ranch near Nashville, and co-owns a hunting company along with other acts like Luke Bryan. He also does duets with surprising people, like Ludacris.

Focus On... Terri Clark
She'll be 50 next August. Born and raised in Canada, had musical grand-parents, but moved to Nashville after graduating. She chanced to meet a record producer whilst waitressing, and was signed to Mercury in 1994. She was influenced by Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top