Michael Jackson

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Michael Jackson

Post  misery guts on Mon May 12, 2014 7:34 am

Adric wrote: Adding insult to injury here, when Michael died, he didn't even manage a Top 40 hit in the states. I believe Beat It and Billie Jean both came very close, but nada. At least Whitney Houston had a score of her original best return to the charts for a brief period. All poor Michael got was "We Are The World 25" which only included his original singing.
I'd have happily done you a swap if I could; our chart had several re-entries, led by 'Man in the Mirror' at #2  Rolling Eyes 
  Having mentioned that, I would safely assume that if the likes of Timberlake and Xscape weren't merged into these singles, they wouldn't have a chance of being chart-worthy by today's standards. I didn't care for Xscape in the 90's, much less now. I can only assume whatever tracks will be released will be ruined by today's artists (and I use the term artists loosely).
I was going to say that yesterday - it's less a dead legend propped up by younger ones than vice-versa for some.
I suppose if this trend takes, before long we'll have unreleased Whitney tracks released only to have the likes of Bobby Brown mixed into it. It's insulting to the deceased and can only imagine what Michael would say if he were still here.
If there's a Whitney legacy to exploit, I'd have thought Clive bloody Davis would have been on that case before now  Evil or Very Mad 
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sun May 18, 2014 7:38 am

I heard some tracks from it this week, one of which cribs from America's "A Horse With No Name". Which reminds me that one of the tracks I really liked from the previous "Michael" album was "Behind The Mask", which cribs from Eric Clapton's song of the same name. But I suspect the idea of Michael doing a covers album with Rick Rubin would not have occurred to anyone.

Also heard the single which is actually quite decent, so it's a shame he never made it to make a proper job of it. Almost anyone with an ounce of wit would be able to pull it off. The video's terribly cheesy, though.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Sun May 18, 2014 7:41 pm

I really do try and stay with the times, but this hologram stuff goes against everything I stand for. Hence, project bluebeam, though that's a whole 'nother topic.  Evil or Very Mad 

Michael Jackson hologram.

May 18, 2014 9:30 PM ET

A hologram that looked like Michael Jackson performed the previously unreleased "Slave to the Rhythm" at the Billboard Music Awards Sunday night. The performance began with a synchronized SWAT Team dancing until a curtain dropped and Jackson was seen sitting in a Dangerous-like throne. Then holo-Jackson (or someone impersonating MJ — it was difficult to tell if the projection was indeed an image of the real thing) sang and stuttered the upbeat dance number, which appears on the late pop star's recently released Xscape, in the same urgent, frenzied, breathy tenors he gave Dangerous tracks like "Jam" and "In the Closet." During the brief performance, the hologram twirled, crouched and moonwalked around the stage.

See stars on the red carpet at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards

The appearance of the hologram wasn't a sure thing. The awards show's producers had attempted to keep it a secret, but it was leaked when two companies, including one that acquired the company that made the Tupac Shakur hologram at Coachella 2012, filed a lawsuit against the show. A judge rejected their claim, saying there was not enough evidence to show that the Billboard Music Awards was violating their patents — or even used their patents.

Jackson began work on "Slave to the Rhythm" when he was recording his 1991 album Dangerous. The version that the hologram performed was "contemporized," to use Xscape executive producer L.A. Reid's word, by four producers, including Timbaland, Babyface and Reid, for the record.

Xscape contains tracks that Reid culled from the Jackson family vaults, comprising material recorded between Thriller and his final album, Invincible. He then charged a number of producers, including the ones listed above, to give the tracks a modern edge, perhaps most notable on "Love Never Felt So Good," a track Jackson wrote in 1983 with crooner Paul Anka and now features verses sung by Justin Timberlake. To show the difference in the versions, the album was released in two different configurations – one with just the "contemporized" songs and another with an extra disc of the original versions.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/michael-jackson-hologram-sings-moonwalks-at-billboard-music-awards-20140518#ixzz327bHMwf1
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
Adric
Admin

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Graham/546756334

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon May 19, 2014 9:30 am

I notice this story shares equal news coverage with Timberlake winning a handful of awards.

'Xscape' entered the UK album charts at #1, and after 2 relatively lowly weeks for the single (#27, then #24), it shot up to #8 this week, which is quite good going.

The idea that the song was written nearly 30 years ago with Paul Anka rather gives the lie to the general tone of the project, if you ask me.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Wed May 28, 2014 7:19 pm

Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean' Returns To Hot 100; Legend Lands 50th Hit

The late King of Pop's 1983 smash returns thanks to a viral video. Plus, 'Slave to the Rhythm' debuts, marking Jackson's milestone 50th Hot 100 hit

A week after becoming the first artist to reach the Billboard Hot 100's top 10 in five different decades (and six including his work with the Jackson 5), as "Love Never Felt So Good," with Justin Timberlake zoomed 22-9, Michael Jackson makes news again, as his 1983 No. 1 "Billie Jean" returns. The song re-enters at No. 14 thanks to the popularity of a viral video featuring the track.

Meanwhile, Jackson scores his milestone 50th Hot 100 hit, as "Slave to the Rhythm," from his new album "Xscape," debuts at No. 45.

"Billie Jean" revisits the Hot 100 with 95 percent of its chart points from streaming. It debuts on the Streaming Songs chart at No. 2 thanks to the stylings of Brett Nichols, a junior at Pitman High School in Turlock, Calif. Nichols performed Jackson's iconic dance sequence from 1983's "Motown 25" TV special for his school's talent show, with the clip featuring the song's original audio. The video went viral and Jackson's classic bows on Streaming Songs with 11.2 million U.S. streams in the week ending May 25 (a 320 percent surge), according to Nielsen BDS. It debuts with 95 percent of its streams from YouTube (non-Vevo) activity.

"Billie Jean," from "Thriller," the best-selling studio album of all time (it's been certified 29 times Platinum by to the RIAA), spent seven weeks at No. 1 on the Hot 100 in a 24-week run in 1983. It and 1991's "Black or White" mark the longest reigns of Jackson's 13 Hot 100 No. 1s, the most leaders among solo males.

On Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, "Billie Jean" re-enters at No. 6. It spent nine weeks at No. 1 in 1983, passing "Rock With You" (six weeks, 1980) for his longest command on the genre tally.

NIFTY FIFTY

Jackson also earns his landmark 50th Hot 100 entry, as "Slave to the Rhythm" begins at No. 45. With 75 of its chart points from streaming, the song enters Streaming Songs at No. 11 (3.9 million, up 345 percent). Fifty-six percent of its streaming activity is owed to the official Vevo video of the much buzzed-about virtual Jackson performing the song at the Billboard Music Awards on May 18.

Jackson becomes the 30th artist to collect at least 50 Hot 100 hits and the 20th solo male to earn the honor (tying Eminem's sum). Lil Wayne leads all male soloists with 121 entries, followed by Elvis Presley (108), James Brown (91), Jay Z (82) and Ray Charles (74). Among all acts, Lil Wayne trails only the cast of Fox's "Glee," which has made 207 Hot 100 visits.

On Hot R&B/Hop-Hop Songs, "Slave" soars 38-12. Jackson also debuts at No. 50 with "Chicago."

"Love Never Felt So Good" (which drops 9-16 on the Hot 100 dated June 7), "Slave" and "Chicago" are from Jackson's posthumous album "Xscape," which debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 dated May 31. It ranks at No. 3 this week with 67,000 copies sold (down 57 percent) in the U.S. in the week ending May 25, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Its two-week sales total stands at 224,000.

REID'S WRITING 'RHYTHM'

An additional feat regarding "Slave": The song marks a return to the Hot 100 for L.A. Reid as a songwriter after a nearly 20-year break. The current chairman and CEO of Epic Records co-wrote "Slave" with Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds, Kevin Roberson and Daryl Simmons.

Reid co-wrote and co-produced numerous Hot 100 hits with Babyface in the '80s and early '90s for the likes of Whitney Houston, Toni Braxton, Boyz II Men and Bobby Brown. Reid eventually stepped back from writing in the early '90s, focusing on his then-role as co-president of LaFace Records.

Until "Slave," Reid had last charted as a writer on the Oct. 29, 1994, Hot 100, when Braxton's "You Mean the World to Me" spent its final week on the chart. It had peaked at No. 7.

"Slave" dates back to 1989, when Reid and Jackson collaborated in writing and recording sessions for what would become Jackson's 1991 album "Dangerous." "Slave" ultimately never was included on the set and sat unreleased until "Xscape." The original tune (produced by Reid and Babyface) was reworked and produced for its 2014 incarnation by Timbaland and Jerome "JRoc" Harmon.

As an artist, Reid was a member of the Deele (with Babyface), which reached No. 4 on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and No. 10 on the Hot 100 in 1988 with its sultry ballad "Two Occasions."
Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat May 31, 2014 12:24 pm

Only 50 hits? Don't sound a lot, does it?

Xscape the album only spent 1 week at #1 in the UK, and Coldplay sold loads more to knock it off the top. 'Love Never Felt So Good' dropped from 8 to 10, too, and I expect it to drop further tomorrow.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:44 pm

Michael Jackson's father Joe was admitted to hospital over the weekend after suffering a stroke. He was in Brazil to celebrate his 87th birthday Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:19 am

Joe came out of hospital again after a week Exclamation

Michael Jackson - Bad 25
A major new documentary from Spike Lee, with interviews with most of those involved and many celebrity fans with something to say. Taking the album almost track-by-track allowed discussion of the varying innovative videos, the demos, Spanish translation on first single 'I Just Can't Stop Loving You', the dance routines, the respect paid to past performers, the accompanying tour, the media onslaught, and his death. I already liked this album a lot, and I learned a ton of stuff that came as a complete surprise to me along the way. Anyway, any serious MJ fan should check out this doc when they can (although it's 2 and a quarter hours, so be warned). cheers
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:55 am

Perspectives: Michael Jackson's Thriller
Diversity leader Ashley Banjo meets many of the remaining people involved in the making of this classic album, taking a mostly track-by-track look at it. The original Moonwalker Jeffrey Daniel, Toto's Lukather & Porcaro, monster maker Rick Baker, and video directors including John Landis all spoke fondly of their time. They even included Ola Ray, who had to keep a straight face as Michael's girlfriend in the legendary Thriller video. Watching this made me dig out his peak era albums to listen to again as well.

Michael Jackson - Legacy
Made shortly after his death, this looked over his career, his tough upbringing with a domineering father, and how he really shot into another league with Thriller. His dealings with Paul McCartney were also covered. The child abuse saga took up time because of there being 2 bouts of it. His charitable works contrast with the huge debts at the time of his death. Was he murdered? That's been covered elsewhere since.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:55 am

Moonwalking: The True Story of Michael Jackson - Uncensored
In fact, much the same story as usual, but padded out by the views of no less than 3 psychologists. There was much consideration of his meeting Princess Diana in 1988, partly because he seemed happier with women than men. His privacy had been non-existent since he was 5. His sister LaToya ripped him a new one during the 1993 abuse furore, though he later forgave her. He made pointed racial campaigns against Sony, which is another point seldom covered. His health problems were also a persistent shackle.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adric on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:20 am

Adric
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:13 am

Michael Jackson's This Is It
Rehearsal footage of Michael and his many dancers preparing for his doomed London residency. The number of songs he runs through is fantastic, with different sets and routines for everything. What also seems curious is that he seems in pretty solid health to me, for a man on the brink of being 50, and supposedly in poor health. A better show than I was really expecting.

Michael Jackson - The Ultimate Review
Various journalists discuss his albums from Off The Wall onwards, intercut with the man himself from some sort of Oprah special, as she fearlessly pins him down on the rumours and myths. However, he claims to have invented the Moonwalk, rather than nicked it from Jeffrey Daniel. The consensus on his albums was that Dangerous was the last half-decent effort, and the ones after were a bit hopeless, especially Invincible.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:15 am

The Jackson 5 score UK number one
This BBC news headline is rubbish, btw

Sigala (who IS #1) used a sample from the J5's ABC in 'Easy Love'. To presuppose that this equates to them being #1 is insulting, frankly Mad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:31 am

Billie Jean royalty payments for widow of violinist
The widow of a British violinist is to receive UK royalty payments for his part on Michael Jackson's Billie Jean for the first time in three decades.

Reginald Hill played on the string section for the track's recording sessions in Los Angeles in 1982.

His widow Elizabeth criticised royalty payments body PPL, saying the claims process left her feeling "less than human".

PPL said it received "conflicting evidence" about Mr Hill's contribution.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:02 am

Michael Jackson's Journey from Motown to Off The Wall
After his effort about the Bad album, Spike Lee churns out his hour & a half effort with dozens of contributors, but only a few of much relevance (John Legend, Mark Ronson and The Weeknd? Puh-leaze!) Pretty much the first half covered his being in the Jackson 5, then leaving Motown for CBS to become the Jacksons, then making The Wiz, and then the rest is a track-by-track look on the overlooked-but-crucial OTW album. Some footage was surprising and fresh - Michael appears to have a strop during a 1981 tour with his brothers about the crowd expecting him to perform old routines from 10 years before, when he's moved on so much since then. Anyway, its 1979 release drew down the curtain on the disco movement, and presumably signposted the soundscapes of the 1980's. I do wonder whether Spike has plans to do similar films for Thriller and Dangerous too, unless he already has.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:06 am

The Wiz
Infamous late 1970s remake of the L Frank Baum book, with all new songs, and the comic spectacle of Diana Ross playing Dorothy as a 24 year old, who leaves her dreary life via snowstorm and winds up in a strange land bearing close resemblance to an eerily clean and empty New York. She meets various oddballs, such as Michael Jackson as the Scarecrow. Other cast notables include Richard Pryor as the Wiz, and Lena Horne as the Good Witch, Glenda. Best though is Nipsey Russell as the Tin Man. It reminded me of Godspell more than The Wizard of Oz, which is just as well.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:00 am

Video Killed The Radio Star: Michael Jackson
Steve Barron discussed making "Billie Jean", whilst Andy Morahan discussed "Give In To Me". The former had trouble with the pavement that should have lit up more than it did, whilst the latter had logistical trouble to combine a touring Jacko with Slash also on tour with GnR. Quincy Jones and Berry Gordy also featured talking fondly of the guy, whilst the impact of vids like "Thriller" and "Smooth Criminal" testified to his imagination and dancing ability.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:02 am

Only just seen this on the news:

Thriller songwriter Rod Temperton dies
In a statement, Jon Platt, chairman of music publisher Warner/Chappell, said Temperton died in London last week at the age of 66 following "a brief aggressive battle with cancer".
His other songs included Off The Wall, Give Me The Night, Sweet Freedom, Always & Forever and Boogie Nights.
"His family is devastated and request total privacy," Mr Platt said.
Temperton, whose private funeral has taken place, was nicknamed The Invisible Man because of his low profile.
Sad news. RIP Sad
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:01 pm

Michael Jackson remains the highest earning dead musician in a new survey:

David Bowie and Prince new entries on Forbes dead celebrity list
Prince's pre-tax income from 1 October 2015 to 1 October 2016 is estimated at $25m (£20.5m) by the business magazine, putting him fifth in the list.
Bowie, meanwhile, is ranked at 11th for an estimated income of $10.5m (£8.5m).
Both, however, are dwarfed by pop star Michael Jackson, who tops the list once again with a record-breaking estimated income of $825m (£672.8m).

In other Jackson news, his sister Janet has announced that she is expecting her first child at the ripe old age of 50 Shocked Well, if it keeps her away from singing.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:12 am

A forthcoming drama, part of Sky's new Urban Myths series, has been canned before broadcast, after Paris Jackson complained at the casting of Joe Fiennes as her late father:
Sky pulls Michael Jackson programme after family complaints
The stories had been described as "slightly tongue-in-cheek, mischievous and deliberately ambiguous" by Sky Arts on its website.
The episode told the story of Jackson taking a road trip from New York to Los Angeles with Elizabeth Taylor and Marlon Brando after the 9/11 terror attacks.
In happier news, Janet had her baby around Christmas time.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:52 am

Paris is in the news again for stating her belief that her father was murdered:

'All the arrows point to that'
In an intimate interview with Rolling Stone, the 18-year-old daughter of the late King of Pop talks about his death at the age of 50. Dr. Conrad Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for Jackson's dependency on the drug propofol leading up to it, but Paris says she also "absolutely" believes Jackson was murdered.
"Because it's obvious," she says. "All arrows point to that. It sounds like a total conspiracy theory and it sounds like bull----, but all real fans and everybody in the family knows it. It was a setup. It was bull----."
It will be interesting in coming years as his children reach an age to be part of the media, if they choose to.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:06 am

The Earth's Song : The Inside Story of Michael Jackson
Another career overview cheap thing, with archive of Michael, Janet and LaToya, but otherwise journalists and psychologists talking about his successes and failures. When his actual music is treated on a par with his personal issues, whether plastic surgery or drug addiction, let alone the sexual allegations, then it inevitably skews the picture painted.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:06 am

Rich and Acquitted
A more cynical series than some, this was an hour which went back over Jackson's court cases in 1993 and 2004. The prosecutor Ron Zonen was clearly still narked at the result, whilst his attorney Thomas Mesereau was quite satisfied with how he handled the case. It's certainly odd that the Chandler case kicked off with using a dentist to use some kind of truth drug. The Arviso case wasn't much better. The idea of the show being that if you have the money to hire a hot-shot lawyer like Mesereau then you're apt to get different justice than if you don't, just as you don't face bail set at $3m.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:21 am

misery guts wrote:In happier news, Janet had her baby around Christmas time.
In less happier news, it seems Janet and her other half have separated Shocked
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  misery guts on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:05 am

The Jacksons at Glastonbury 2017
From the West Holts Stage on the Saturday night, a steady hour of nostalgia. Things went reasonably for about half an hour, and they paid tribute to Michael on the 8th anniversary of his death. Then Tito announced he had a new solo LP out and he did a couple of tracks, to what I assume was general crowd bemusement. Things staggered a bit after that, though they did throw in Rock With You and Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' which was nice. The problem they seem to have is that 3 of the surviving 4 are quite talented, and the 4th (Marlon?) is a big-head who acts like he's a bigger star than his brothers. Even his brothers were going WTF at times at him.
misery guts
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top